Abnormal cycling? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Abnormal cycling?

hi Everybody,

I'm trying to do a fishless cycle for my 5gallon tank. Started bit less than a month ago. In the middle added CO2 diffuser. Here are my parameters:

I've noticed sudden drop in pH last couple of days. Is this related to the fact I have increased the CO2? Should I be worried about this? Any help and comments on the parameters is very appreciated.

Thanks,
Ruben

- Ruben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

pH is highly likely related to the increase in CO2.
I would reduce this until the cycle is complete. The bacteria do better when the pH is higher. They pretty much quit growing at lower pH levels.

Keep on dosing the ammonia to keep on feeding the bacteria. Sometimes the NO2 does wander around a bit as the bacteria population grows.
If the plants are not liking higher ammonia levels, then test twice a day and add just enough ammonia to bring it back to 1 ppm. Doing this twice a day will grow just about the same amount of bacteria as 3 ppm once a day. And the ammonia sensitive plants will be happier.
This far into the cycle I would not be surprised if the bacteria can remove 1 ppm of ammonia in 12 hours. Monitor the NO2, though, to be sure it does not go over 5 ppm. The bacteria that we are trying to grow do not do so well when the NO2 or ammonia are over 5 ppm.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PH is related to CO2 but I also see that you have some nitrate hogging plants. So if you see Ammonia and Nitrite dropping to 0. You are good to go. Nitrate is tricky when you have a lot of plants. I recently had this discussion in this forum. I hope you know about the Nitrate test issue if you are using API test kit. you have to bang, drop the bottle #2 and run around with it to get good results.

I had 0 Nitrate for almost 2 years and recently I started dosing Nitrogen. You might have to do that because if you have 0 Nitrate for a long time, BGA would develop as it is a new tank.

Another tip, 10G is one of the sizes that needs highest attention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by plantetra; 10-12-2015 at 01:35 AM. Reason: More Tip

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I reduced the CO2. That should raise the pH a bit.

I've got some good news. Looks like i have got into panic too early. Did water tests again and 4ppm of ammonia disappeared in 24 hours. so ammonia = nitrite = 0, and nitrate was around 40-80. It was virtually impossible to detect exact color since 40 and 80 are very similar on the test chart. This time I was harder on shaking and banged the container several times. I have added another 4ppm of ammonia today. If I get 0 ammonia and nitrite in 24 hours I guess the cycle would be complete. Is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantetra View Post
I hope you know about the Nitrate test issue if you are using API test kit. you have to bang, drop the bottle #2 and run around with it to get good results.
Are you referring to the instructions to shake the bottle and the test tube? Also, are there any electronic meters around that can precisely measure those water parameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantetra View Post
I had 0 Nitrate for almost 2 years and recently I started dosing Nitrogen. You might have to do that because if you have 0 Nitrate for a long time, BGA would develop as it is a new tank.
Could you elaborate more on the Nitrogen?

- Ruben
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yup it looks like your cycle is complete. But now you have to make sure that you feed the bacteria with Ammonia until you add fish to it. Ya I was referring to the bottle. There is some crystal in it that that can solidify. So you have to shake the crap out of it.

I had so many plants and they were using up all the Nitrate produced. So I always had a nitrogen deficiency that caused some algae. I started dosing Nitrogen and it is already looking better.

Link here
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...r-2-years.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode