Is there plenty of oxygen for fish when plants a pearling? - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is there plenty of oxygen for fish when plants a pearling?

Is there plenty of oxygen for fish when plants a pearling?

I did an experiment.

I used a root tab, leaf zone, and liquid C02 while shutting off my air pump as well as turning up the lights all the way.

I now see a few plants with little bubbles coming out and I think its pearling.

However I am uncomfortable with my pump off. Will these little oxygen bubbles be enough for the fish?

Does this mean the water is fully saturated with oxygen?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 09:28 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you are sure that the plants are pearling and not "false" pearling (also known as streaming, which occurs when the plant is damaged and gases escape), then yes, it would indicate that the water is fully saturated with oxygen.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
If you are sure that the plants are pearling and not "false" pearling (also known as streaming, which occurs when the plant is damaged and gases escape), then yes, it would indicate that the water is fully saturated with oxygen.
I did not even know there was such a thing. I guess I should check with the light off and use a flashlight or something to see if the bubbles continue. What other way to tell if they are false pearling?

I got the plants at Petco and they are not that old so I am not sure how much damage is on the plant.

Thanks.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 01:22 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have never heard of anyone ever report pearling from using liquid co2.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 01:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

O2 Level for Fish

Hello mio...

Oxygen is a plant byproduct. The plants take in light, carbon dioxide (CO2) and water and the result is oxygen. Your filter system also mixes O2 from the surrounding air into the tank water by agitating the surface. Adding a plastic tube to the tank attached to an air pump will do the same thing as the filter by moving the water surface and mixing O2 into the tank water.

Plants pearl when there's too much O2 in the water, like after a large water change. It's their way of removing extra oxygen. If your plants are pearling, there's plenty of O2 in the tank water

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 03:29 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miogpsrocks View Post
I did not even know there was such a thing. I guess I should check with the light off and use a flashlight or something to see if the bubbles continue. What other way to tell if they are false pearling?

I got the plants at Petco and they are not that old so I am not sure how much damage is on the plant.

Thanks.
False pearling generally appears as a constant/steady stream of bubbles.

Pearling will appear as bubbles accumulating on the surface of the leaf, much like how there will be some bubbles that stick to a side of a glass when you pour in a carbonated beverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
I have never heard of anyone ever report pearling from using liquid co2.
This is also why I suspect it is not real pearling and simply due to some damage to the plant.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
False pearling is also quite common after a water change. There are a lot of dissolved gasses in most tap water and this results in tiny bubbles on most surfaces after a water change.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 04:31 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
This is something I've wondered about. Given that O2 doesn't dissolve as quickly as say, CO2, for example, I wonder if the tank water is actually saturated with oxygen, or is it just being produced more quickly than it is able to dissolve?
Hoppy and Hoppy like this.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sounds like plant damage to me as well. Last time I checked, Petco has very poor conditioned plants. Petsmart on the other hand has taken plant care out of the hands of the people that work there. Great move. I am sure we have a case of false pearling though. Bubbles don't really come out like the OP describes when the plant pearls. They accumulate on the leaves and pretty much stay put. When I hear bubbles coming out and needing a flash light, it sounds like bubble are continuously streaming to the surface. Pearling bubbles don't rise to escape like streaming bubble from plant damage.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDepth View Post
This is something I've wondered about. Given that O2 doesn't dissolve as quickly as say, CO2, for example, I wonder if the tank water is actually saturated with oxygen, or is it just being produced more quickly than it is able to dissolve?
That was always my view on pearling. The plant is producing O2 at too quick a pace to be dissolved, although I guess 'pearling' can occur if the water is saturated as well.

If you have pearling in a thinly-planted setup, then I would reason to believe it's that particular plant that is producing O2 very quickly.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have had pearling occur in every condition; with co2 without co2 with liquid carbon and without. Pearling will occur at a much higher rate with co2 and optimal light and nutrients. If you look at the plant and see a stream of bubbles coming out of a "broken area" that is false pearling. I have had all my plants pearl like crazy without any co2. It is simply the plants producing o2 at high high rate which usually means conditions are favorable, at least until the algae comes if there isn't enough co2 in the tank.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is good info. So do you mean that if you are limited by light and not CO2 or fert, there wont be any pearling?

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
^

I thought pearling only occurred when the oxygen solubility limits of the water volume have been reached, and thus bubbles of o2 are formed, but do not dissolve because the threshold of o2 has already been reached.

Essentially there is more o2 (being produced) in the water than it can hold.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

@Darkblade48,

This "false" pearling/streaming that you talk about - would you care to let us know what sort of gasses are being let out by the plant and how are they produced by the plant?

@jrill,

Why would not "liquid co2" cause pearling - the source of CO2 would have nothing to do with pearling which is a result of high rate of photosynthesis?

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 09:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
@Darkblade48,

This "false" pearling/streaming that you talk about - would you care to let us know what sort of gasses are being let out by the plant and how are they produced by the plant?
Abby is keeping Major Masspec busy, so I don't know what gasses are being released, but I've seen streams of bubble coming from cut stems.

Quote:
@jrill,

Why would not "liquid co2" cause pearling - the source of CO2 would have nothing to do with pearling which is a result of high rate of photosynthesis?
My understanding is that "liquid CO2" provides carbon to the plants in a different form. It does not provide actual CO2. Plants are able to utilize carbon from CO2 more efficiently than from liquid carbon sources. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any point to having expensive pressurised CO2 systems. It would be much easier and cheaper to use liquid.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode