White Colonies in Aging Water Reservoir - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
White Colonies in Aging Water Reservoir

About two weeks ago I noticed some white gunk floating in my aging water reservoir. Take a look closer and there are small white colonies scattered all over the bottom of the tank. I thought I thoroughly cleaned it out but it has returned.

The reservoir is an old 50 g tall I had laying around. For circulation I have an air stone. No top either is is open to the air. Once filled, it sits for a week total and during that time I change the water for all the show tanks.

I feel like this might be something to worry about but how long did it go on with out me noticing the colonies?!? Have you guys ever seen this? I'd hate to have to keep cleaning out the reservoir every week before I fall it. Water change is today but is the reserved water okay to use (said with a grain of salt) ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Colonies of what? Are they colonies of actual living creatures? Can you look with a magnifying glass?

Why do you age the water anyhow?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I call them colonies because they look similar to bacteria colonies but I don't know if they are. They're very small white mounds that have a fuzzy halo. Maybe it is mold? Idk.

I age my water because it is supersaturated with dissolved gasses. When the tiny bubbles eventually gas off my pH drops. Straight from the tap the pH is usually around 8.6 - 9.0 and after 24 hrs. the pH has dropped to around 7.2 - 7.6. If I do a water change straight from tap, the fish suffer (maybe "suffer" is extreme but anything bad that happens to them is suffering IMO, mother bear syndrome). They get red ulcers on their faces and their slime coats thin out. I attribute this to pH drop. They are my prize Oranda goldfish, can't loose them.

As for what I'm going to do with the reservoir tank. I'll clean it out again and let some bleach sit in there for a while. Are there any recommendations for concentrations?

I'm thinking maybe the flow at the bottom of the tank is too stagnant and it's allows some type of creature to flourish. Right now there is a small air stone and pump that breaks up the water but the tank is a 50 tall. I'm going to replace it with a spare hydro pump I have (I think is is rated about 300 gph, something like that).

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use a 90 gallon with a top for a water tank. I have two air stone in mine. I get algae to grow once in while. For me I pump the water down to couple inches and then siphon the bottom out about 3 times of year. I would recommend a top for that tank. My water comes out about 7.9 and then falls to 7.4 in 24 hours and that RO water.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Algae Grower

I have seen what you are describing. If I understand what I have read its a type of algae and or a type of bacteria that like the dark undisturbed water. I had to add a aerator to get it to stop. I guess its also a pest for he city water supply and is one of the reasons chlorine and other junk is added to our drinking water to help stop the water from making people sick.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Because of the PH drop I also do this. But since it happens in 24hrs, that is how long I allow the water to sit. No problems this way.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A closer look may be needed to find what it really is that you are seeing. I find the bottom of my reserve water barrels does collect a lot of white stuff but it is just hard water deposits rather than something growing. Any chance of that? Grabbing some, does it feel slick, slimy or more gritty like deposits?
I find just running the hose back into the reserve before adding to the tank gets this moved out so that it doesn't collect. But then I would also assume that your water and mine are quite different.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dust.... when I cleaned everything out it look like dust coated in a white film. Similar to what happens to air tubing when left in water. It does feel slick and slimy. But whatever it is, it took the opportunity to proliferate on the dust. Looks like I'll be getting a cover.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode