Benefits of Purigen - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Benefits of Purigen

Hi all,

I am looking to re-tool my tanks this winter, and I know many of you use Purigen on your systems. I read up on it a bit, and I am confused as to why it is so popular to use in planted tanks.

From what the Purigen website says, it is an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate remover. If that's the case, then why do we cycle tanks and dose nitrate for our plants? I don't want to spend money on fertilizer and take the time to dose it, just to have something take it away from my plants.

I'm sure that there are more benefits as so many hobbiests use this product. I am just hoping to get some "clarification".
AboveBeyond and AboveBeyond like this.

This isn't rocket surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Purigen makes my water crystal clear, run it in all my tanks.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use it as a replacement for activated carbon. (My filters have a space for carbon inserts, but I don't want to use carbon because it supposedly removes ferts.) It lasts longer than carbon as well.

As for why...just as a water polisher, really. It makes the water very clear, which looks nice. Especially for photos.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'd say it is similar to running fine filter floss. It just removes more particles from the water. I liked purigen for awhile, but have now gone with a more nature approach to my tank and don't worry about clarity as much. I even leave some algae built up in some places. If you want crystal clear water for photos, definitely try purigen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
As the others have said, for me, the nitrogenous waste removal is a side benefit. The clarity it give your water is amazing. On low-iron tanks its like looking through air

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post

From what the Purigen website says, it is an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate remover. If that's the case, then why do we cycle tanks and dose nitrate for our plants? I don't want to spend money on fertilizer and take the time to dose it, just to have something take it away from my plants.
Purigen doesn't directly remove ammonia, nitrite it removes wastes that will eventually release these products. When these products are released especially ammonia during the natural organic process they can cause algae and other issues in some setups. This is much different then dosing the organic salts like KNO3, etc.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

It is a replacement for activated carbon that lasts longer, is reuseable, and doesnt remove ferts from the water. I have driftwood that leaches a ton of tannins and purigen helps keep the water from turning too dark.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
So it doesn't remove nitrates directly, only the wastes that end up turning into nitrates?

||
||
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, that's basically it. It removes undesirable elements that can develop into decomposing toxic matter, but has little if any effect on desirable plant nutrients for example.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Using Purigen

Interesting. My question is, "How is this product better than an aggressive water change routine?"

Just a thought.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'd say that Purigen is in general not as good as sufficiently aggressive water changing... certainly it can't compete with something very aggressive like 50% w/c every day. That said, really aggressive water changing also requires you to add fertilizers more frequently..

The advantage of Purigen is you can get away with a less aggressive water change schedule, same as any other chemical media. It's advantage over carbon is that it doesn't adsorb metals like carbon does.

Both media, in addition to keeping nitrates down indirectly, also adsorb a variety of compounds that cloud or tint the water (like tannins) and some compounds that smell bad (carbon is more versatile here). Again, sufficiently aggressive water changing can keep your water clear and fresh too..

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

So u use this instead of carbon?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

In a planted tank with substrate, no amount of water changes will remove a good deal of the unwanted material that gets trapped within the plant root systems and the substrate, and that can develop toxicity. Purigen adsorbs much of that material.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboone82590 View Post
So u use this instead of carbon?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Yes, I use purigen on a regular basis in my main tank.

I do not use carbon in any of my planted tanks, except under specific unusual conditions that require its use. Specifically I use carbon to strip medications, when the medication calls for it. I would also use it (along with water changes) if the water was contaminated with some kind of disinfectant that the carbon might help remove, a measure I thus far have not resorted to.

I personally view carbon as mildly detrimental to planted tanks in any kind of long term use, as it adsorbs metals, including some of the micronutrients plants need.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hello dis...

Actually, everything in the tank water will dissolve. The organic material from the fish and plants that falls to the bottom of the tank dissolves within a day or so, and by removing a lot of tank water and doing this every few days, there's no time for wastes to build up to anywhere near toxic levels before you remove them by changing out the water. I think a lot of manufactures of products like this, rely on the fact that most tank keepers tend to slack off on their water changes and those people want something that will allow them a little flexibility when it comes to tank management.

B
Steve001 and Steve001 like this.

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode