Before using Purigen... - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By discuspaul

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Before using Purigen...

Is there anything I need to know before using Purigen in my canister filter? In other words, does it affect any of the water parameters and is there anything I need to do to prep Purigen other than sticking it in the filter (it came w/ the bag)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
The instructions it comes with say to rinse it well before use. In theory it will change water parameters for the better by the removal of certain things in the water column.

You can read more about it here.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Stealing my setup aren't ya You can just add it directly to the filter I believe. I've rinsed and soaked them in tank water prior to make sure that all of the air bubbles were out of the bag prior.

|||
|||

Last edited by Tihsho; 10-08-2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: edit

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Go right ahead & place the Purigen bag directly into your filter.
Purigen has many beneficial effects and no negatives to speak of.
I've used in 24/7 in 2 tanks (one a 75 gal discus tank) for approx. 5 years straight & wouldn't be without it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 12:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Just rinse and stick it in the filter
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sold. Where do I put it in the canister filter? After the biofilter, before the mechanical polishing pads?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post
Stealing my setup aren't ya You can just add it directly to the filter I believe. I've rinsed and soaked them in tank water prior to make sure that all of the air bubbles were out of the bag prior.

Lol I doubt my tank will be closely as advanced once yours is set up. That HOB sump thread has my head spinning. Heheh Just curious to try it out. In all of my yrs of having tanks I've never tried it so I figured hey, why not?

Thanks, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by end3r.P View Post
Sold. Where do I put it in the canister filter? After the biofilter, before the mechanical polishing pads?

I've read that most people put it after the mechanical polishing; it's the last stage in the filter.

||
||

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-09-2015 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

And in a cycled tank, its main role is to cut down nitrates(since the biofilm we takes care of ammo is and nitrites)?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by end3r.P View Post
Last stage for me, after polishing pads and bio media
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Water enters my canister from the top.
Bag of Purigen is the first thing the water hits.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Water enters my canister from the top.
Bag of Purigen is the first thing the water hits.
That's probably the best location. You place it where you think it's going to get the most water flow right through it for optimum effectiveness.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I generally place it at the easiest spot to get to. In a sump I put it on top as it was easiest to get to. In canisters I generally put it in the first compartment. The Eheim I'm using for the first time on my project feeds bottom up, so it will be the last item before the water gets back to the tank. Why? Because I can crack open the canister and swap these out without having to pull the media basket out and I can swap Purigen in without having to tear into the media basket basically forcing me to clean a canister when I might not even need to.

|||
|||

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode