Fish tank TWISTING?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish tank TWISTING?!

So I just set up a 75g tank about a month ago and it never really occurred to me that it's not only not level, but it appears the fish tank is actually twisting...

On the left side the water is slightly higher in the back and the right it's slightly higher in the front, So I bought a level and took photos. The first is of the right side the 2nd is of the left.

A little background on my tank setup, I bought the fish tank used and obviously kinda old because the base trim would just break off incredibly easy so I was forced to remove it all. This made me paranoid because I didn't want some terrible tank explosion disaster because some silicone went with it so I bought some of the highest strength aquarium silicone I could and manufactured my own brackets that are glued to the sides and bottom of the fish tank with a ton of the silicone. Because this caused it to have pressure points I have the whole thing resting on styrene wall insulation foam 1/2" thick.

So my question is... Will my tank crack because it appears it's twisting or is something else going on that I'm overlooking because this doesnt make sense at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1444168685965.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	526082  

Name:	image_1444168734322.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	526090  

Name:	image_1444168907525.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	526098  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

First off; the trim on the bottom of the tank is extremely vital to the tank's structural integrity (well on most tanks anyway. You didnt' post a full tank shot; but I'll go ahead and assume that its just as vital on yours). I would't worry so much about losing a little silicone with the trim/brace but would be more worried about the trim/brace itself. Slapping some silicone on the outside does nothing but make a mess. Its not going to help seal a potential leak.

Second, the number one thing to avoid when trying to level a tank is torsion and/or twisting. So its kind of ok if the front is a bit lower than the back so long as the sides are on the same "downward" angle and vice versa. You dont want the front left corner to be a lot higher than the rear right corner as this causes a twist and can potentially lead to failure. Your photos dont really show whats going on; but from your description it sounds like you are experiencing that type of twisting/torsion.....which is very bad especially when you couple that fact with the lack of a bottom brace.

I wouldn't worry about a crack so much as an all out tank failure!

However, the photos you took of the bubble level show something that is very very close to level, but again there really aren't enough photos to tell the whole story. But, what your describing is a bit troubling!

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The brace I made is basically an L beam of aluminum from a hardware store that I bend at right angles around the corners to maintain contact with the glass all the way around. Between this and the actual glass I used a ton of silicone. I really don't understand how it's doing this... maybe the upper trim is not totally level around the rim of the tank. Idk.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1444175887666.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	526178  

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Depending on what type of glass the tank is, it may just explode instead of cracking. If you aren't sure about EXACTLY how to fix that, I would find a new tank. That is really worrying. I get nervous when my glass bulges a bit, but what you are describing sounds like a nightmare.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Maybe is just a cheap level I'm using.... These pictures show like a cm difference over the course of 4 feet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1444178261132.jpg
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	526218  

Name:	image_1444178271016.jpg
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	526226  

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

using the top rim as a reference point for measuring "levelness" is probably not a very accurate way of doing it unless you are certain that it's perfectly aligned with the rest of the tank.

I am a little bit leary about the foam. I understand what you are trying to do, but normally padding is used only on rimless tanks when used. When all the tank sits on it, the pressure on the pad is relatively low considering all the surface of the tank sits on it.

Can you measure the water height on all corners say from the stand surface? Trying to see if I can visualize this if the tank was twisted but the stand was dead flat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 02:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

Level the stand, not the tank itself. Leveling the tank puts torsional stress on it. Remove the foam padding as that may compress unevenly causing more torsional stress.

Last edited by Steve001; 10-07-2015 at 02:23 AM. Reason: .
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 02:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

What ever was the base where the tank stood in its earlier life seemed to have warped under its weight very slowly over a long time cause the tank to stress and twist to its limit and thereafter adjust with a stress crack. We will never know whether in that life the base on which the tank stood stopped warping or the tank got decommissioned before the disaster struck. We also do not know what invisible stress faults the tank glass hides in its molecular makeup.

Over time the silicon of the tank has become harder. Despite the styrene wall insulation foam (I use the same for my tanks) this tank is going to face fresh stress because of its earlier warped state. The probability is that failure is bound to happen sooner or later - if it does not happen immediately then it will be a disaster.

So do please replace it now.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode