My Fully Automated Raspberry pi Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Fully Automated Raspberry pi Aquarium

Howdy Folks.

I'm going to put this all into a video tommorow but a little late now but thought i'd share something i have just finished building.

I have a 400 odd litre planted tank, its very high and water changes were becoming a pain. I decided (seeing as i work in IT) i should try and create a almost fully automated tank.

This is my current setup with some screenshots from my aquarium dashboard.

I put in a water in and water out feed from the mains water supply and into the outside drain. This goes through 2 Carbon block filters through a solenoid value and into the sump.

The Solenoid is controlled by a SmartATO topup sensor. (mainly as its an optical monitor and building one would have cost me more)

the water out is connected to to a small pump.

Both of these in turn connect to to a relay box, connected to the Raspberry PI.

Also connected to the PI is a flow sensor on the water in which tots up how much water goes in, and a temp sensor.

With all this in place i've built a number of services and a database on the PI which allows me to set when i want to do a water change and how much needs to be changed.

The Service runs on the hour and if a water change is due, both relays are switched on so water can move in and out, it also monitors the flow sensor to ensure there is no over fill issues.

The service runs both relays in such a way that no water should be removed while its re-filling. (i setup a 10% water change at the weekend which run very slowly over an hour)

while this goes on an additional service monitors the health of the tank by checking again for overfilling, and for any major temperture swings which trigger an alert to my phone. (as does the compleition of the water change)

All of this information feeds back into the database which is displayed live on a website.

I can manually kick off water changes which is greate, as this can be monitored from a remote location.

I have a few additional sensors yet to go in for monitoring any leaks, the sump water level and light levels with the potential for PH monitoring.

Now for some pictures and screenshots.

Video will come tommorow if i have time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	525994  

Name:	IMG_20151006_215902.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	526002  

Name:	IMG_20151006_215918.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	526010  

Name:	IMG_20151006_215910.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	526018  

Name:	IMG_20151006_215942.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	526026  

Name:	Untitle2d.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	526034  

ipkiss, ipkiss, plantetra and 7 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
very cool, would love to see a video

Bump: very cool, would love to see a video
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sweet! I can't wait to see the video and the end product.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 04:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
@louis.varley, you and I think alike sir! This is almost exactly the same project I just started planning out over a week ago. Willing to write up a journal on this to run through your findings and pros/cons on hardware you used and future plans/expansions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
crazy stuff. Awesome project

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
wow. impressive and cool project.

46 Bowfront:

CAPS - Chicago Aquatic Plant Society
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 04:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
very nice!

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:27 PM

Would you be willing to post your code? I am setting a project up like this myself and would love to get a jump start on my project. I love what you've done and I think I could re-use your code easily to do a similar thing!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like to spend time with my tanks and for what the cost would be I could check a lot things by hand. Just me but I think it's a waste of money other than you don't have the time to monitor your tank. Then why have the tank in the first place.
GraphicGr8s and GraphicGr8s like this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 03:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Water View Post
I like to spend time with my tanks and for what the cost would be I could check a lot things by hand. Just me but I think it's a waste of money other than you don't have the time to monitor your tank. Then why have the tank in the first place.
DUDE LOL!!!!

GET OUT OF HERE!!!!

people are in this hobby for their own reasons.......

If not all... atleast most of us here are nerds...and love to get nerdy with things..... the science of keeping a closed ecosystem functioning better than nature itself... is what drives me everyday to be in the hobby... Hell im freaking newbie... btw....

but i agree... doing it yourself feels rewarding... try comprehending.... doing something like this... is even more rewarding.... I will spend just as much time.... but having this system feels like you can create even more unique stuff that could make your experience with the hobby a much more pleasant experience......

like when im traveling.... i will feel my tank is in my pocket someday......

Hey Guys so new to the hobby. So excited to be here.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Changing water gets old, really quickly. The more self sufficient you make the ecosystem, the more time you have to enjoy it, rather then maintain it.

Love the system.

Feel free to edit.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 11:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Love your system and your ingenuity!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Water View Post
you made my day thanks.
there is that unique feeling of making something that works, especially if you do it the first time.

this project, is more than cool, and yes, looking at the screen is also a monitoring the system. Rather than hauling buckets of water, I would prefer to press a button, and spend time enjoying my tank. Same goes with dosing the ferts, etc.

46 Bowfront:

CAPS - Chicago Aquatic Plant Society
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I love the automation of this setup. I'll be setting up a larger tank soon as was brainstorming ideas for a setup like this. My ideas were more mechanical with a timed pump and a sensor that would stop the refill on a predetermined level. This is some cool fancy stuff

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode