The Struggle is Real! - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AquaThumb83's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lightning Capital, United States
Posts: 22
The Struggle is Real!

Well my 10 gal tank decided it was going to throw a mini cycle at me. Milky cloud in the water column, so I did an ammonia and nitrite test and what do ya know, .5 ammonia and 2.0 nitrite. Dosed a capful of Prime to detox the tank and followed that up with an immediate water change. Since my 65 gal cichlid tank has a canister and a HOB filter I pulled the bio media out of the HOB and put it in my 10 gal HOB. I had just recently put ghost shrimp in it so i thought it could be that maybe a couple had died but I counted and they're all there. Hopefully putting extra bio media in it will alleviate the issue.

Last edited by AquaThumb83; 10-06-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Grammar
AquaThumb83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: the desert
Posts: 541
How long has it been set up? What are the other parameters? Sometimes Extreme shifts in PH or hardness can slow or stall the bacteria that processes waste.
keymastr is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 620
Dose some microbacter. It will shorten the cycle to a matter of days. I would be more concerned about what caused this event.
loach guy is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
klibs's Avatar
 
PTrader: (29/100%)
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 3,325
Good call - using established media from an established tank is the best way to cycle things quickly IMO. I do this every time I need to start up a new filter. Just throw seeded media right in there.

If you keep both running then the un-established media will seed much faster. Works even better if you mix them up or just use entirely the established media for the new tank and put the new media in the established tank.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
klibs is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Twin lake, MI
Posts: 789
Cloudy water...hope it doesn't turn into a bacteria bloom and then green water for you. Been there and tried to fight that fight, UV was the only quick way out.
TekWarren is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AquaThumb83's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lightning Capital, United States
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
Good call - using established media from an established tank is the best way to cycle things quickly IMO. I do this every time I need to start up a new filter. Just throw seeded media right in there.

If you keep both running then the un-established media will seed much faster. Works even better if you mix them up or just use entirely the established media for the new tank and put the new media in the established tank.
I have both media bags in the filter so the original will re seed. The tank has been up for 6 months maybe longer now. Im think it was a substrate change. Went from sand to Eco-Complete.

Doh!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AquaThumb83 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 01:10 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
sohankpatel's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaThumb83 View Post
I have both media bags in the filter so the original will re seed. The tank has been up for 6 months maybe longer now. Im think it was a substrate change. Went from sand to Eco-Complete.
My tank was around for 2 months when I changed to eco complete and I didn't have issues. Just my experience.
sohankpatel is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: US
Posts: 2,863
There has to be some cause of the sudden mini cycle. Can you think of any thing that might have caused it? (untreated chlorinated water, filters became clogged, turn off filter too long, dead fish, overfeeding, etc.)

You mentioned a substrate change, I am not sure if eco-complete causes any problems, but sometimes substrates trap wastes underneath (especially sand that compacts easily) it and when disturbed/removed it kicks it all back up all the sudden and can cause spikes (hence why I recommend changing substrate without fish in tank, among other thing). Also the substrate does house some beneficial bacteria so that is lost with a substrate change, but it is minimal and I don't believe the amount lost causes a noticeable mini cycle cloud (unless it was a undergravel filter, which shouldn't be since you had sand).

I think you will be fine as long as the new filter has enough established media. I've never used eco-complete, but I doubt it leaches ammonia or it wouldn't be a recommended substrate.
WaterLife is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Contra Costa CA
Posts: 11,721
If you want to add bottled bacteria, look for Nitrospira species on the label. There are other species in the same bottle, but if it does not specify Nitrospira, do not waste your money.

Hope you only took a little media from the Cichlid tank- don't want to get that started on a mini-cycle, too.
Diana is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AquaThumb83's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lightning Capital, United States
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
There has to be some cause of the sudden mini cycle. Can you think of any thing that might have caused it? (untreated chlorinated water, filters became clogged, turn off filter too long, dead fish, overfeeding, etc.)

You mentioned a substrate change, I am not sure if eco-complete causes any problems, but sometimes substrates trap wastes underneath (especially sand that compacts easily) it and when disturbed/removed it kicks it all back up all the sudden and can cause spikes (hence why I recommend changing substrate without fish in tank, among other thing). Also the substrate does house some beneficial bacteria so that is lost with a substrate change, but it is minimal and I don't believe the amount lost causes a noticeable mini cycle cloud (unless it was a undergravel filter, which shouldn't be since you had sand).

I think you will be fine as long as the new filter has enough established media. I've never used eco-complete, but I doubt it leaches ammonia or it wouldn't be a recommended substrate.
Everything was removed from tank as well as the water before changing substrates.

Doh!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AquaThumb83 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome