turning canister filter off - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
turning canister filter off

When you do partial WC (30%-40%) do you turn off your canister filter? im just wondering if i can just leave in on while doing a WC. just wanna get some opinion before doing it ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't. I have 2 power strips for all of my equipment. My filters, pumps, and heater are all on one with everything else on the other. When I do a water change, I just flip the switch for the power strip with the pumps and heater. The other power strip has my lights, so I can still see what I'm doing.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I guess that depends on a lot of different variables. I tend to usually turn off my canisters if I'm doing a large water change; especially if the water level will end up dropping a lot lower than where my spray bar is situated in the tank. Good thing to remember is that IF you choose to turn it off, make sure you shut the valve (different with each brand) first so you dont have to re-prime the filter once you're done.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

Old 10-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
You can do it however you like. It won't hurt anything either way.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Dc5
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
^ Agreed. I usually leave mine on and lowered the flow rate of the spray bar as I do my water change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have had light bulb's shatter from water splashing from spray bar during water change with filter's running or when filling the tank and water get's close to being full again.
I turn off my filter's for that reason.
Could always remove the light fixture I guess,but I do my trimming during water changes also, and is hard to see without the light.
Only took a couple times trying to fish out the broken glass for me to turn filter's off.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Planted Member

i have an extra length of tube that I can connect to keep my outflow in the water during my weekly 50%.
walklong and walklong like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr1rodeoclown View Post
i have an extra length of tube that I can connect to keep my outflow in the water during my weekly 50%.
That is good idea.
I would need two such length's of tube for two spray bar's but I could easily source some.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Algae Grower

I generally turn the filters off on my tanks, mostly because I have duck weed, water spangle, subwassertang and java moss in most of my tanks, and clear the intakes/sponges when I do the water change. On my turtle tank (75 with Fluval 404) I don't turn it off unless on on the filter cleaning cycle.

"Smell of shrimp, they're beginning to boil . . ." Guess the heater needs replaced again (with apologies to Jimmy Buffett from a die hard parrothead)
Old 10-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr1rodeoclown View Post
Is there some particular reason why you do this? Seems like it would be easier to shut it down for a little while than to reconfigure like that.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
Old 10-06-2015, 11:33 PM
Algae Grower

I don't turn them off when I do a 25% water change, there's a little splashing but it's not too bad and I prefer to have the inline heater working the whole time, in case the water I'm adding it a bit too cool
Old 10-06-2015, 11:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

I turn mine off, it keeps the filter from sucking in air and random debris kicked up,from me putting the water in
Old 10-07-2015, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do water in water out water change. started recently. But I think if you keep running the filter, If the tap water has chlorine, it might kill some of the beneficial bacteria. Not sure though.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I normally do large water changes and turn the filter off when doing them. If left on the outflow from the filter coming back in can make a real mess falling back into the tank and disturbing the substrate. When the water level is normal, the water buffers the incoming water.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Is there some particular reason why you do this? Seems like it would be easier to shut it down for a little while than to reconfigure like that.
If you leave your filter off for too long your beneficial bacteria can die off. its needs oxygen (moving water) to sustain itself.

I take a long time to do water changes. I drain fast and fill really slow. My water-in line is from an outdoor hose spigot so its only the buildings cold line. I fill slow enough on a 50% that my temp doesn't spike too low. If i had my canister off for this whole time i'd be losing my bio-load.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in