outside planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
outside planted tank

Hi! got no answer from pond people :-)

Im gonna try to ask here:
What Heater do u use in your pond or aquarium outside during winter ? I have s 135gal setup in a covered patio, Texas weather is a bit crazy 😄 it gets super hot in the summer and super cold the winter 😊 so what heater can someone recommend :-)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
This really depends on what you're keeping in there. Is it getting to freezing levels in the winter? If so you might want to be careful about the water expanding while it freezes compromising the tank.

Pond people have a different approach than aquarists as they are partially insulated with the Earth. An out door aquarium is only separated by a sheet of glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post
This really depends on what you're keeping in there. Is it getting to freezing levels in the winter? If so you might want to be careful about the water expanding while it freezes compromising the tank.

Pond people have a different approach than aquarists as they are partially insulated with the Earth. An out door aquarium is only separated by a sheet of glass.
Yes sometimes (freezing level) would a pond filter help?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can't recommend a heater for you since I have never had an outside tank. I live in Michigan, and I know people with ponds. Their fish vacation inside in the winter. I know if it were me though, I would have a sump with the heater in there either inside, or at least in a garage that would help offset the outside temps so that the heater wouldn't have to work as hard. Not sure if that's possible for you, but it's food for thought anyway.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

@kenshinH, there are a lot of options, but I still don't know what is in your tank? Do you have tropicals in there? I'm not sure what the requirements are for what is in the tank. If you provide us more information I can provide you with a solution for it.

What I'm getting at is, I'm not sure if you have goldfish living in the tank that need minimal heating with temperate plants, or you have a tropical fish and tropical plants. The first scenario is much MUCH easier than the latter.

|||
|||
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
This sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me! Keep in mind that most aquarium heaters are only strong enough to heat the water 10-20 degrees or so above the ambient temperature. That would mean you'd be lucky to keep the tank water at 45-50 degrees when its 32 outside. I think you might also run into a problem where the tank might get too hot when the ambient temp creeps back up from those really cold days

If for some reason your dead set on keeping this thing up and running all winter, I would get sytrofoam insulation to cover the bottom as well as the 4 sides of the tank; and even lay one across the top as well. This would be on top of a very tight fitting lid and probably keep the lights on 24/7 which poses all sorts of other problems.

I take it there is no heat in your covered patio area? As crazy as it sounds, I think the easiest option might be enclosing and insulating that space!

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

I agree with @lksdrinker. My initial thoughts on the OP's post was that they had goldfish or temperate plants growing in it and that heating would be to keep the water from freezing, that would be easy. In the summer though, I never thought about that. Good catch lksdrinker!

|||
|||
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post
@kenshinH, there are a lot of options, but I still don't know what is in your tank? Do you have tropicals in there? I'm not sure what the requirements are for what is in the tank. If you provide us more information I can provide you with a solution for it.

What I'm getting at is, I'm not sure if you have goldfish living in the tank that need minimal heating with temperate plants, or you have a tropical fish and tropical plants. The first scenario is much MUCH easier than the latter.
It has some feeder fish and Java fern, water sprite. Just want to prevent it from freezing 😊
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinH View Post
It has some feeder fish and Java fern, water sprite. Just want to prevent it from freezing 😊
Wow...big tank for feeder fish!.....what are you feeding?

If your only goal is to prevent freezing then a couple of airstones might be enough. Just keep the water (very cold water perhaps) moving. A heater (or heaters) appropriately sized for that tank (maybe 300 +(?) watts) should be enough to prevent freezing as well (just might not be enough to get a tank to tropical temps).

How is it currently setup? Is there a heater in the tank now? What about filtration? (might be enough surface agitation to prevent actual freezing).

How cold does it get by you? Do you barely get to freezing temps overnight or do you get down to single digits for a few hours?

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 01:59 AM
Planted Member

Stock tank heater made for livestock.

I keep my horses water tub thawed even at -25 with the wind blowing.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I don't have any good information for you, but I am very interested in this too. I have a covered patio on my house and we spend a lot of time back there. I have ceiling fans, TV, even a refrigerator out there. I would love to have an aquarium too. But Texas weather can be tuff.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

You might want to just look into something like @kozlany said. They make ones specifically for ponds that work well. I have some that I use to keep a hole in the ice's surface in my outdoor tubs where the goldfish live. Generally, unless we get below 0 degrees F, which is rare, it does a great job at keeping the water above freezing by 5/10 degrees.

|||
|||
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Planted Member

Cattle Tanks, Buckets & Tubs Online or In Stores | For Life Out Here

They are kind of big and ugly. They have kept my horse water thawed to -38F. I'm consistently below freezing from the end of November to the end of March. They last several years.
I have a 1500 watt one in a 300 gallon stock tank. No problems.

They aren't heaters so much as de-icers. They keep things from freezing. When it's -20, which is a usually January temp here 32 degrees feels warm.

https://www.valleyvet.com/c/horse-su...rs-horses.html
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Most pond folks don't worry about cold water. The only thing necessary with koi is having a hole in the ice (with a heater like Tihsho uses) so you can get some gas exchange out of the water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode