Water changes - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water changes

When doing water changes can you just run water right from your sink into your tanks and then do your conditioner? Or should you put it in something and put your conditioner in then put it in your tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Algae Grower

after you take water out of your tank. leave your filter off

Add conditioner for entire tank

fill up your tank directly from the sink

Turn on filter
roadmaster and roadmaster like this.

My tank journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can do either. If you go straight into your tank then you will need to dose your whole tank with water conditioner. If you put it in buckets, you only have to dose what is in the bucket.

I only use buckets and only dose what is in the bucket. It helps make the conditioner last longer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Cold tap straight into the tank (through 5 stage filter). It's a 75 gallon, but I just add 1 cap of prime before starting the fill. Takes ~45 minutes to refill the 20 gallons drained though.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So if I take out 30 gallons from my 75 before I fill it back up I have to put in enough prime for 75 gallons

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Can you overdose prime?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboone82590 View Post
So if I take out 30 gallons from my 75 before I fill it back up I have to put in enough prime for 75 gallons

correct!

Quote:
Can you overdose prime?

You can dose very high levels of prime safely. Dont want to say its impossible to overdose; but I believe you can easily dose 5x recommended amount without issue.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Algae Grower

I add enough prime to treat the approximately the amount of water I took out. That's just me though.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terran2k View Post
I add enough prime to treat the approximately the amount of water I took out. That's just me though.
I do this as well. I fill up a big rubber trash barrel with 30g of tap water and treat it with 3mL of prime (1mL per each 10g water I am putting in the tank). Then just pump it back into the tank.

Never had any issues doing it this way.

I think you could do it prettymuch any way you want though. Like others have said putting like 5x doses of prime in probably won't hurt anything. Better safe than sorry though IMO

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
correct!

You can dose very high levels of prime safely. Dont want to say its impossible to overdose; but I believe you can easily dose 5x recommended amount without issue.
I ment can you overdose as in put to much at one time?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 01:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
For smaller water changes of 10-15% I normally domt even bother, dilution works wonders

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terran2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
I do this as well. I fill up a big rubber trash barrel with 30g of tap water and treat it with 3mL of prime (1mL per each 10g water I am putting in the tank). Then just pump it back into the tank.

Never had any issues doing it this way.

I think you could do it prettymuch any way you want though. Like others have said putting like 5x doses of prime in probably won't hurt anything. Better safe than sorry though IMO
This is doable if you are dosing the water in a container before adding to your tank. If you read the bottle's instructions though, you should dose enough for the entire tank if your adding the new water directly into the tank.

Quote:
I ment can you overdose as in put to much at one time?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. It is ok to dose a lot more than the recommended dosing; as much as 5x whats listed on the bottle. So it is pretty safe; but I would never say its impossible to "overdose" as I'm sure there could be negative effects if you say dumped a whole bottle in!

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
This is doable if you are dosing the water in a container before adding to your tank. If you read the bottle's instructions though, you should dose enough for the entire tank if your adding the new water directly into the tank.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. It is ok to dose a lot more than the recommended dosing; as much as 5x whats listed on the bottle. So it is pretty safe; but I would never say its impossible to "overdose" as I'm sure there could be negative effects if you say dumped a whole bottle in!
That's what I figured thanks for the info I just know there's some stuff out there that if u overdose u can really screw things up

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Some thoughts on the what and why of the treatment might help. Things make more sense to me when I know why.
Too many think of chlorine as instant death while I think of it as more like the fish and plants getting a bit of sunburn from the chlorine. Each time they meet a bit of chlorine, the chlorine will react with the fish or plant. The reason for using the treatment is to prevent this. Over time, it can work like getting burned repeatedly and it can harm the fish, etc. It won't necessarily show right away but it may be burning the gills and sensitive spots. We never know what happened but it is possible for the damage to be there and the fish just doesn't grow or live as long as it might. Something like sunburns and skin cancer to me.
It gets down to what amount of trouble you want to go to in trying to keep your fish in good shape. I spend so much money time and effort on the hobby that slacking on using a water treatment seems wrong, even though I can't see the damage. How many really deep sunburns can we get before we see the true damage?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Some thoughts on the what and why of the treatment might help. Things make more sense to me when I know why.
Too many think of chlorine as instant death while I think of it as more like the fish and plants getting a bit of sunburn from the chlorine. Each time they meet a bit of chlorine, the chlorine will react with the fish or plant. The reason for using the treatment is to prevent this. Over time, it can work like getting burned repeatedly and it can harm the fish, etc. It won't necessarily show right away but it may be burning the gills and sensitive spots. We never know what happened but it is possible for the damage to be there and the fish just doesn't grow or live as long as it might. Something like sunburns and skin cancer to me.
It gets down to what amount of trouble you want to go to in trying to keep your fish in good shape. I spend so much money time and effort on the hobby that slacking on using a water treatment seems wrong, even though I can't see the damage. How many really deep sunburns can we get before we see the true damage?
Yeah I'm not one for toutoure so I'll be using the prime thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode