Passion: Need help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Passion: Need help!

SOLVED: Thank you Right now: posting updated images etc.

Pre Note:

> I am new
> Went ambitious with a very small tank
> did a lot of DIY
> was stingy with cash (as I am really low on it currently)

Need:

Anyone in hobby, to give a feedback on an Image. Also to give your advice for future based on the data im about to give

Image: I just planted these monte carlo carpet in my nano aquarium. As the plant came in fresh I started planting it. As seen in videos and advice given by experts. It was not at all easy. My hands where shaking. The tank was too small to maneuver. It was hard getting seperate plants to plant as small bunches. Either they dint have a root or the root was too long. Withing like 15 minutre, the planted to look really dull. As the body heat from my hand was affecting the plant. Felt really bad about how the plant was turning dull by the minute. So here are the questions i wanted to ask.

1. Do you think this tank will survive?

2. Did I do the planting even remotely correct?

3. Some leaves look upside down. Will it sprout from it properly?

4. Planted a few monte carlo without any root structure. But looked fresh with leaves. Will it grow roots?

Tank details:

its 1.5x1 feet tank (smaller than a nano i will say)

using flourish excel + Diy Co2

using leaf zone

substrate is ada soil

I also have a crypt wenditi (doing quite well.. Planted that long before introducing the monte carlo... as couldnt get monte carlo when i got the crypt)

In advance guys, Truly appreciate your time. From the bottom of my heart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	524729  

Hey Guys so new to the hobby. So excited to be here.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by livins; 10-10-2015 at 02:48 PM. Reason: to let know the readers. The issue was solved. now its all about updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
planting looks fine. They will form their own roots. Just jam the plants into the substrate and wait. They'll be fine

why is your light so blue?

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livins View Post
So here are the questions i wanted to ask.

1. Do you think this tank will survive?

2. Did I do the planting even remotely correct?

3. Some leaves look upside down. Will it sprout from it properly?

4. Planted a few monte carlo without any root structure. But looked fresh with leaves. Will it grow roots?

1. It should if maintained properly. Ask for help if you run into any problems/

2. Planting looks fine. But maybe pull the Cryptocoryne up a little bit so the crown (center of plant at base where stems branch out from) is exposed at the surface.

3. I haven't taken note to that, but I have had floating stems grow leaves the opposite direction, so I guess it could, but for faster growth, just replant it correctly oriented.

4. Usually plants with no roots will grow roots. I have heard roots develop/grow at night when the lights are off. If that doesn't work, try floating the plant and it has a chance to get higher lighting at the surface and can grow some roots.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks a lot water life. For the detailed reply. Truly heart warmed by the reply

And

Klibis thanks a lot for the reply. The reason the light is looking bluish is becoz the the led fixture has a mix of blue and white led. I went with the led that came with my tank itself. It's not the best. But for the budget I guess it is decent. Really hope it works out guys. Will it?.

Once again guys both of your replies meant a lot. Feeling a lot better now. This hobby rocks. Never felt so live with any other hobby. Even gaming like dota2 :P

I currently play dota2 a lot too. Working with my friend on a start up company. Had a recent huge fall with my previous IT company on mobile app development and chat app development. This hobby and gaming is helping me keep my thoughts straight.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
1. It should if maintained properly. Ask for help if you run into any problems.
Yes, plants need the proper balance of light, CO2, and nutrients to thrive. There are people on this forum who can help you sort out what might be lacking if your plants don't show signs of healthy growth in a couple weeks.

Quote:
2. Planting looks fine. But maybe pull the Cryptocoryne up a little bit so the crown (center of plant at base where stems branch out from) is exposed at the surface.
I wouldn't mess with it. I have a bunch of Cryptocoryne wendtii and some of them got a bit buried, but are still doing fine. I think there is more risk of damaging the roots by trying to pull it up a bit.

Last edited by Argus; 10-03-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: clarify
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Welcome to the hobby and the forum. The biggest issue that I see is that you have DIY CO2 and excel. While this should suffice for your carbon requirements, you will still need micro and macro nutrients for the plants to thrive.

Best of luck
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Why is everything blue? What lighting do you have?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Planted Member

You might do better with a small reflector hood and spiral fluorescent light than the blue LED.

Crypts tend to melt when you first plant them, but they usually come back fine after a few weeks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The led is like ... 12 white led and 4 blue led... That's why it gives a blue tint... The depth of the tank is 1 feet.

1. Will this setup work.... Or will the light be too inefficient for any growth at all ?!

The led are a bit lower than daylight white. Staring directly at the light is quite hard. Sorry for being so vague. Coz I am salvaging from what I have with me right now.

If things go bad I'm planing on upgrading the light

2. For now will this work.?? Will the light sustain some growth?

Also for light will any of the following product work for my tank. Ty for the sweet replies in advance guys ...

http://www.amazon.in/RS-Electrical-Aquarium-Light-RS-307/dp/B00LPDDL0W

2. eBay type 1
[Ebay Link Removed]

Or the 12w version of the above. Trying a DIY cheap version here.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wink update!

Update guys

I have a small problem here.

1.) few leaves are turning black. At the same time new ones are sprouting out. Is it part of the process.

Or am I doing something wrong here? (I feel I might have melted a few of those plants due to my body heat during planting)..

Please let me know if the tank is alright or not.

2nd question.[THE VIDEO]) The monte carlo is wigling strongly due to water current. The ones right under the flow. Is it too strong? 3.)is it bad for the plant?

ty in advance guys

also guys. I am really happy with the crypt. It did not melt before growing. Its healthy from the start. Has grown significantly compared to the previous update. Also whats the name of that stem plant in the bg. Thats doing super well. grown 6 new leaves in 1 week span.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	527434  

Attached Files
File Type: mov IMG_2242.MOV (2.13 MB, 27 views)

Hey Guys so new to the hobby. So excited to be here.

Tags
diy, first planted, first plants, monte carlo, nano aquascaping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode