Is Aquarium Salt ever used in a planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is Aquarium Salt ever used in a planted tank?

Is Aquarium Salt ever used in a planted tank or is the salt too toxic to plants?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

I use it,
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
I use it,
I dont.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I use it,
Do your plants die or do you use like half the recommended amount,etc..?
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Using Aquarium Salt

Hello mio...

Absolutely. Standard aquarium salt used in small doses replaces minerals that are lost to the tank water being constantly filtered. A teaspoon or so added to every five gallons of new, treated tap water during the weekly water change will keep your aquatic plants healthy.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (120/100%)
No.
Zapins and Zapins like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello mio...

Absolutely. Standard aquarium salt used in small doses replaces minerals that are lost to the tank water being constantly filtered. A teaspoon or so added to every five gallons of new, treated tap water during the weekly water change will keep your aquatic plants healthy.

B
I muat disagree with this post.

Standard aquarium salt is sodium chloride. While it may help to add it to your water, most tap water contains ver little of this salt.

Most tap water gets it's hardness from calcium and magnesium salts. If you look at Tom Barr's GH booster, it's a mixture of several salts, none of which are Sodium chloride. See this link - ww.plantedtank.net/forums/11-fertilizers-water-parameters/247026-what-exactly-tom-barrs-gh-booster.html#post2556810 KH booster is mostly baking soda.

Filtration doesn't remove these salts in any significant way, so there is no need to replenish anything.

Personally I don't add standard aquarium salt. It's not need in my system. Othere might find some advantage for specific livestock.
Zapins, Zapins, Steve001 and 3 others like this.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 11:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by miogpsrocks View Post
Is Aquarium Salt ever used in a planted tank or is the salt too toxic to plants?

Thanks.
What purpose do you think salt should be used?
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sodium chloride is not useful to plants.

Some fish seem to do better when there is a small amount of salt in the water, but if the GH and KH are right, then the salt is optional.

There is no need to add salt routinely, especially not to water you are using to top off the tank. Topping off implies that you are replacing water that has evaporated. Salt and minerals do not evaporate. They stay in the tank. The best way to replace evaporated water is to use reverse osmosis or distilled water. If you keep adding more salt to the tank with every top off the level can keep on climbing.
Zapins and Zapins like this.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 12:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by miogpsrocks View Post
Do your plants die or do you use like half the recommended amount,etc..?
Its been a while since i have added any salt to the tank, i believe it to be beneficial to the fish, although i am starting to add plants so i will probably half the dose to prevent any poisoning of the plants. Although there are people on this forum who probably know more about this than me.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 12:32 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
No definitely not.

Sodium can become toxic to plants at higher doses

Some people use it in fish only tanks to ward off potential diseases. This is because parasites and infections don't like salt and are weakened or killed by it. This is why petco uses salt in their tanks quite frequently - because they have terrible tank conditions and cleaning schedules so they artificially make the conditions a little less hospitable to infective agents.

Zapins
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 12:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Its been a while since i have added any salt to the tank, i believe it to be beneficial to the fish, although i am starting to add plants so i will probably half the dose to prevent any poisoning of the plants. Although there are people on this forum who probably know more about this than me.
Adding a significant amount of plants is significantly more beneficial for fish.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 01:00 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have salt in the fish closet. Haven't added it in decades. Only fish it is truly beneficial to is mollies.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 02:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I have salt in the fish closet. Haven't added it in decades. Only fish it is truly beneficial to is mollies.
While mollies do benefit from the addition of salt to the water, they are not the only species salt is good to use. There are quite a few other species that should have a certain of salt in the water. In addition to mollies, scats, monos, figure 8 puffers, archer fish, and bumblebee gobies all do best in brackish water.

Now that does bring up another point. Would you want to set up a planted tank with these fish? It would be a lot harder, but it could be done. Personally think that most people are better off choosing one or the other, either brackish water and keep the fish or FW and keep the plants.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 03:13 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
While mollies do benefit from the addition of salt to the water, they are not the only species salt is good to use. There are quite a few other species that should have a certain of salt in the water. In addition to mollies, scats, monos, figure 8 puffers, archer fish, and bumblebee gobies all do best in brackish water.

Now that does bring up another point. Would you want to set up a planted tank with these fish? It would be a lot harder, but it could be done. Personally think that most people are better off choosing one or the other, either brackish water and keep the fish or FW and keep the plants.
I'll cede that point. I've always considered the molly this side of a true brackish fish though. And that's how I've always kept and bred them. This side of brackish.

There are some plants like anubias that will do well in a brackish tank though.

one point though for a brackish tank you need to use marine salt not aquarium salt which is pretty much common table salt.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Last edited by GraphicGr8s; 10-03-2015 at 03:26 AM. Reason: 147

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode