Is it ok to use a Garden Hose to fill up an Aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is it ok to use a Garden Hose to fill up an Aquarium?

Is it ok to use a garden hose to fill up an Aquarium or does the python siphon need to be connected directly to the faucet?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
If your hose gets it's water from the same source as your faucet, I see no reason not to use it. You may not be able to control temperature though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Algae Grower

I have been doing it for months now. going to get a python though to fill up inside where I can control the temp. its getting colder outside

My tank journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I use a garden hose connected to the shower to fill the few tanks I have in the house, and a garden hose in the greenhouse for those tanks.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
There are lots of people who will tell you not to use a garden hose. If you look carefully at the packaging, usually garden hoses have warnings that you should not use them for drinking water and they are not suited for potable water. There are certain hoses branded for RV use that claim they're safe for potable water and I recently heard someone reference a drinking water hose.

That being said, I've used a standard garden hose (various hoses actually) for years with no issue.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I got sick of braking my back on bucket brigade so my husband set up an out of water pump and we got 50'+ worth of stretchy hose (50' loose, taunt probably near 80-100'). I just leave a bucket in the utility sink, fill check temp, dechloriante then pump it into the tanks. Much easier to use, I don't like going straight from faucet to tank, means dosing the whole tank with prime instead of just new water, and also sometimes water comes out too hot/cold and I don't want that messing with sensitive fish.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 02:04 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
There are lots of people who will tell you not to use a garden hose. If you look carefully at the packaging, usually garden hoses have warnings that you should not use them for drinking water and they are not suited for potable water. There are certain hoses branded for RV use that claim they're safe for potable water and I recently heard someone reference a drinking water hose.

That being said, I've used a standard garden hose (various hoses actually) for years with no issue.
Glad I grew up before the hoses were harmful.

We all drank from the garden hose as kids with no adverse affects. I'm more worried about the chemicals they add to drinking water.

I've used a garden hose for years to fill.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 04:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

AquaArora
Quote:
I got sick of braking my back on bucket brigade so my husband set up an out of water pump and we got 50'+ worth of stretchy hose (50' loose, taunt probably near 80-100'). I just leave a bucket in the utility sink, fill check temp, dechloriante then pump it into the tanks. Much easier to use, I don't like going straight from faucet to tank, means dosing the whole tank with prime instead of just new water, and also sometimes water comes out too hot/cold and I don't want that messing with sensitive fish.
GraphicGr8s
Quote:
I've used a garden hose for years to fill.
I have a drum with an aquarium pump fitted to a garden hose for filling my tanks. I fill the drum and prepare the the water (adding chemicals and adjusting temperatures mixing them by using the pump-hose(laid out in the sun if heating is required) or an aerator (for cooling if required). Been using that for years.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 05:10 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

I'm on well water and the fish house covers the well. I've only got cold(ish) water and no chems to fret over. Goes from the well through pvc a bit of iron into the garden house to the tank. Don't have a water heater.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 05:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I'm on well water and the fish house covers the well. I've only got cold(ish) water and no chems to fret over. Goes from the well through pvc a bit of iron into the garden house to the tank. Don't have a water heater.
Old habits die hard. At present I am using water from a deep bore well but there was a time I had to use water supplied from a primitive water purifier system and needed to be de-chlorinated -- hence the drum and the aerator and the chemicals.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 06:00 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
Old habits die hard. At present I am using water from a deep bore well but there was a time I had to use water supplied from a primitive water purifier system and needed to be de-chlorinated -- hence the drum and the aerator and the chemicals.
How deep are you?
I'm 330'

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 07:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicgr8s View Post
how deep are you?
I'm 330'
280'

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode