Different information on Petsmart vs LiveAquaria.com(fosters&smith) info? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Different information on Petsmart vs LiveAquaria.com(fosters&smith) info?

Hello.

I am trying to do some research on what temperature the fish in my aquarium like and I am getting a larger range with Petsmart than LiveAquaria.com(fosters&smith)for the same fish.

So the highest temperature according to liveaquida is about what is the lowest limit according to petsmart.

Examples:

Neon Tetra
Petsmart Water temperature: 72-82 F
LiveAquaria Water Conditions: 68-74

http://www.petsmart.com/live-pet/liv...6-catid-700002
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...97&pcatid=1097

This is kind of nuts.

Last edited by miogpsrocks; 10-01-2015 at 02:57 AM. Reason: adding reference links for additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:18 PM
Algae Grower

Live aquaria is wrong. My parents have kept neons at 80 degrees for the last 20 years.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 12:36 AM
Algae Grower

I've been using SeriouslyFish for doing research. Sometimes it helps to know the proper name when searching, but most of the time you can find the fish with the common name. Here is their page for Neon Tetra, it lists 70 83 F.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I +1 for Seriously Fish over Petco or Live Aquaria...its the difference between websites that are trying to sell products vs. websites that are information based.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
Live aquaria is wrong. My parents have kept neons at 80 degrees for the last 20 years.
You have kept the same fish for over 20 years? I did not know that Neon tetras lived that long.

The Doctors are wrong huh? What website do you use for your information?

Thanks.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Neon's can be kept at 80-82... so there is that, Neon's flourish at 72-78.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 03:32 AM
Algae Grower

Various generations of neons of course. The oldest was 5 (we beleive, neons are hard to tell appart)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 04:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

When it comes to a question like this, that is what temp should you keep the fish at, I'd like to hear from a breeder and see what temp they are using. In other words, from some one that knows what they are doing with the fish.

More than likely the online vendors and net sites just copies the information fror someone or some place else. Few people can be experts on all those listed species.

As for neons, anyone here actually breed them? If so what is your opinion?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
NOT an expert by any means. You will find exception after exception on lots of fish.
I would research any particular fish you like ON HERE because you likely will get more
replies from people who have them. Also I would Google that type and cross reference them/w the results you get from here. Very good point about the breeders also.
"Can live in" and the optimum temp. are not the same thing.
Keeping it in a temp different from optimum hinders their immune system from doing it's best job. Might not appear to be harmful but they will enjoy their longest possible
life span in that optimum temp.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 06:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

I haven't bred neon tetras but, in my experience of keeping neon tetras I find that cooler water temps in the 70-75F range prolongs average life - I have kept neons in unheated tanks that stayed around 65F for up to three months with no ill effects THESE neons lived a total of four years. Two before, two after. Also, the natural range of neons is borderline subtropical with periods during the year that are even tropical for MONTHS at a time. And, in their natural range water temp can vary as much as 15 degrees from daytime to nighttime during "cooler" months. Water SLIGHTLY above 75F with a very low TDS always caused my neons to spawn but none ever survived. I never directly attempted breeding them though.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I find that most fish will accept alternative living conditions with a slow drip acclimation. My tank is 77* and I think some of my species prefer slightly colder waters. I believe I ended up trusting seriouslyfish. A site that has nothing to gain is really much more trustworthy to me.

Also, aquadvisor is pretty good. I think they have a suggested temp area.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
When it comes to a question like this, that is what temp should you keep the fish at, I'd like to hear from a breeder and see what temp they are using. In other words, from some one that knows what they are doing with the fish.

More than likely the online vendors and net sites just copies the information fror someone or some place else. Few people can be experts on all those listed species.

As for neons, anyone here actually breed them? If so what is your opinion?
You won't find many, if any, breeders of fish that sell for pennies each at the wholesale level.

As suggested here already, there are websites with the mission of gathering information rather than selling fish and hardgoods; Fishbase comes to mind first.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have heard though that Neons prefer slightly cooler water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode