Best way to add water back to a tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best way to add water back to a tank?

In the past, I've used a siphon to remove water and a 2.5G bucket to dose and add water back into my tank. However, now with it being delicately planted, I don't want to simply throw a bucket full of water in the tank as it stirs up the substrate/aquascape. I tried to siphon water back into the tank but this was difficult and I couldn't seem to get a flow going from the bucket.

Any recommendations? I suppose worst case scenario I could use a cup to add water from the bucket but surely there's something easier. Again, just want to make sure it doesn't have enough movement to disrupt what I've planted.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I rest the bucket on the side of the tank and use one hand to pour it into a cup/bowl in the aquarium that I am holding with my other hand. The causes most of the agitation to be on the surface as opposed to messing up the substrate.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:24 PM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Many people, myself included, fill with a python attached to a sink. You can control the flow amount going in and point the nozzle somewhere it won't cause harm. Just try to get the temperature close and treat the whole tank with dechlorinater.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
How many gallons is the tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
for large tanks, python is the solution it was a long discussion couple of days ago here.

if the tank is small, then get a pump from your local hardware store and just pump the water from the bucket into the tank, without lifting the bucket or making a tsunami. works for me great.

46 Bowfront:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CAPS - Chicago Aquatic Plant Society
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 12:08 AM
Algae Grower

I have small tanks and the method I use is pouring water into a cup that is submerged with the level of the water in the tank. This way the main "fall" is in the cup and the slow overflow goes over the edge near the level of the water in the tank.

I hope I made sense in all that lol
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Small fountain pump, depending on the size of the tank and how far you will have to lift the water. If you can set the bucket on a chair, next to the tank, for example, a smaller pump will do the job. If the bucket is on the floor, then you will need a larger pump to get the water up that high.

Read the label on the pump. There will be a chart showing how many gallons per hour it will pump at certain heights.
Use this chart to figure out what size pump will work for you. If you get one that is too strong you can usually slow it down (many pumps are adjustable). If you get one that is too small you may have to get a chair.

I would look for a pump that will do between 60-200 gph.
60 = smaller tank, probably need to have the bucket up pretty high, near the tank.
200 = larger tank, or pumping from a bucket on the floor.
While you are in the store, pump in hand, go to the vinyl tubing aisle, and get enough tubing to reach from floor to tank, and extra so it can make a gently curve and end up aiming horizontally across the surface of the water. Do not short yourself of tubing- you can always trim it shorter. Not so easy to make it longer.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 01:04 AM
Planted Member

If you want to use a bucket, then a cheap pump will work. Or just poor slowly I use a python with this setup, but I used to use a pump when I used RO/DI water on my saltwater tank.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I pour into my HOB, that way it's not changing the current too much more than what the tank recieves anyways... OR I slowly pour onto the hardscape, and it diffuses the water flowing into the tank

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 01:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have small tanks so milk jugs are my friends. I use them to store treated water and pour from the jugs into my hand which then spreads the force of water going into the aquarium.
Bonus is that I always know how much water I changed out.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I suggest either a python (I have an aqueon, $10 cheaper) or a cheap eBay powerhead. I think I bought one for $3 that was 'rated' at 180 GPH. Regardless of what it's actual flow rate is, it is more than enough for moving 5 gallons of water for a water change. Also, you could drop it in the tank and pump out the water instead of a syphon. Pretty easy. $5 power head, $10 of hose from the home improvement store.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Appreciate the responses everyone. Will report back when I decide what works for me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode