Help with spot on cardnials - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with spot on cardnials

I have a 55 gallon planted tank. In this tank I have a group of cardinals. About 6 to 8 months ago I noticed a couple of the larger ones had one spot on their head or back that looked like ick. No other fish had these. I was afraid it was ick but it never spread. So I decided it was probably a wound. But it never healed. Those spots are still there 8 months later. They look like cotton or maybe a small crustacean. It seems to manly affect the larger older cardinals.
About three months ago I noticed a smaller cardinal with a white spot on his side. This spot does not look so much like ick as the others. I got scared that he had Columnaris so I removed him to a 5-gallon medical tank and treated him for 8 days with Mardel. I thought the spot was gone so I placed him back in the regular tank. As soon as I did that I realized the spot was still there. So the medication did nothing. The fish is still fine swimming and eating with the rest for the last few months.
So now I have two large cardinals with spots on top for many months. The large ones also always look fuller than the others. One recently has added a spot of two. These are ick looking. And the one cardinal I spoke of earlier.
I have no idea what these white spots are. I am leaning towards parasites? But honestly do not know.
What would you do next? Should I remove those cardinals? Not easy because I have a small jungle where they can run and hide. It took me two days to catch the one last time. I am lost and not sure what this is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pictures

Here are two pics. One showing the side spot and the other showing the two with spots on the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5052[1].jpg
Views:	22
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	522681  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5046[1].jpg
Views:	20
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	522689  

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Look up Lymphocystis.

If the spots have been there this long without affecting the fish perhaps they are a relatively benign growth.
If it is something that spreads, perhaps you want to isolate this tank, or remove the fish. Try a fish trap. Easy to make one with a plastic bottle (water bottle is about right).

If you are OK with isolating this tank, allowing the fish to live out their lives, then get duplicate tools for your other tanks, and keep separate tools just for this tank. Or else sterilize the tools between tanks, every time. Wash hands well, and always deal with this tank last, after finishing the healthy tanks. Do not share plants, filter media or anything else that cannot be sterilized. If you want to move driftwood or rocks from the affected tank to a healthy tank, then sterilize them.

Mardel is the name of a company. They make many medicines. What did you treat with? Active ingredient?

Bump:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the information. I meant to say Maracyn. It is made by Mardel. I was treating what I thought might be body fungus. I think they would have died long ago though if that is what it is.

This is my main tank. The only live planted one I have. I have a 20 gal and a bunch of assorted empties left over from when I bread fish.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Maracyn active ingredient is erythromycin. This is most active against Gram positive bacteria. Some secondary infections are Gram positive, so erythromycin is often combined with minocycline (Maracyn II) which does affect Gram negative organisms.

Most fish diseases are Gram negative bacteria, so an antibiotic like Maracyn II (minocylcine) or Seachem's Kanaplex (Kanamycin) would be a better first choice of antibiotics.

I am not sure this is bacterial, though, if it is growing so slowly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode