Planting a low tech 20L questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Oopsie doosies.

PTrader: (28/100%)
Planting a low tech 20L questions

Hey guys,

Almost ready to set up my 20L for PFR shrimpies, got a couple oddball questions.

1. My general setup will be dragon stone and various mosses, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to add a backdrop of some stems. As most of you know, a 20L is long and not very deep, just throwing some ideas out there for you avid aquascapers.

2. I would plan to plant this tank pretty thick if stems are a good idea. Would I need any extra supplements beside micro & macro liquid ferts? How heavily planted can something be without the need for CO2 and high light?

3. This one's for everyone with shrimp --
How do you guys clean your shrimp tank? Just personal experiences only please. I'm just interested to see the variety of ways people clean tanks without upsetting or killing any shrimpies!

Thank ya kindly

No matter how hard you try, you cannot escape this hobby. You have been warned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 05:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello phoenixkiller.

1. Totally your preference. I personally would be tempted to add a small grouping of plants with a little height, be it a stem or rosette plant.

2. I would think a good substrate is key if you want to go heavily planted without CO2 and low-medium light. I tend to watch and wait to see what the plants are doing before dosing. Except for additional iron in tanks with red plants. I just go ahead and dose that particular element.

3. My tanks are stable at once a week cleaning which includes light mulm siphoning without disturbing substrate, and 20% WC with subsequent water test and touch up GH/KH if needed. Scrape glass almost every WC. Sometimes just wipe off buildup at waterline. Feed only 3x per week.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I do 10g tanks (same height) and have yet to find any stemmed plants that I think
work well in there because of the height of them except for regular baby tears.
Those have very poor roots and are very easy to up root when trimming. But the trimmings float so easy to remove them. They loose that trimmed look faster than most plants do because of their smaller size so you do have advantages to them.
You also can over time trim them any height you want. Few pix to illustrate that.
Progressive/go by time stamps.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=43369
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=63337
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=60914
I do use a Rotala stemmed plant in my other 10g tank. They are just getting growing fairly well so they haven't outgrown it yet. But the Crypt Petchii is a great size/color for something other than the usual lighter green. Buce do come in mini sizes and the nana Pettite is a good size for that tank. The W. Java Fern in there also are new and yet to get much growth on them. The DHG is finally beginning to spread. Really this tank is
just starting to go well overall. Java moss on back wall. Fissidens F. on right wall.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/im.../pg_12001e.jpg
On the first thread in the low tech section of the forum is a list of plants that will grow in low light. Some get too big for that height so ask about any you might like to try first.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode