How you prp dw from tom barr - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
How you prp dw from tom barr

Curious how others who bought driftwood from Tom Barr prep it before putting in the tank: boil __ hours (mm tannins soup)? soak in cold water ___ weeks? oven bake? debark? bleach dip?
I plan to tie plants to it don't want to deal with that "newly submerged wood fungus growth" fun.. some of the pieces I got smelled like urine (..yay...=.=) so boiling all the wood for as many hours as I can stand it. Debating about debarking so I don't have a mess from bark breaking down in the tank.
If you did no prep and just water logged and planted did you get "the fungus" growth? I wonder if co2 injected tanks don't get that growth..sadly no co2 here.. and I've proven excel doesn't work on the stuff... ok I'm rambling now sorry >.>

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Bought a nice layout from Tom - gave him my tank size and asked him to send what he thought would work. He sent more than I needed. There was nothing to debark. Soaked the wood in a clean garbage can until it sunk. Changed the water every week or so. Had a little fungus, but found it in dirty areas on the wood. Scrubbed it off a few times, then it was gone.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Soaked it for a couple of weeks and changed water every other day which got rid of the tannins and then put it in the tank. No problems with fungus.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I boiled everything I could for as long as I possibly could. I had 4 giant soup/stock pots on the stove for pretty much an entire day and just kept turning the wood over every hour or so. After that I kept everything in a rubbermaid tote full of water for a week or so and to my surprise still had some tannins leaching. But the wood was good and water logged and I started using it without much other prep and had no issues.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Thank you all for the info so far. I am on day 2 of boiling (total boil time 10 hours so far). I want to get through the process quick as I already have the plants and want to put the tank together properly instead of everything just floating about as it is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpfaff View Post
Bought a nice layout from Tom - gave him my tank size and asked him to send what he thought would work. He sent more than I needed. There was nothing to debark. Soaked the wood in a clean garbage can until it sunk. Changed the water every week or so. Had a little fungus, but found it in dirty areas on the wood. Scrubbed it off a few times, then it was gone.
How long were you seeing the fungus? few weeks? few months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
Soaked it for a couple of weeks and changed water every other day which got rid of the tannins and then put it in the tank. No problems with fungus.
Nice, how long as the wood been in the tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
I boiled everything I could for as long as I possibly could. I had 4 giant soup/stock pots on the stove for pretty much an entire day and just kept turning the wood over every hour or so. After that I kept everything in a rubbermaid tote full of water for a week or so and to my surprise still had some tannins leaching. But the wood was good and water logged and I started using it without much other prep and had no issues.
Wow 4 pots? I have 2 going with a vent and a fan to push the steam at the vent and my kitchen still feels like a tropical jungle.. yours must have been all but raining indoors!

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Nice, how long as the wood been in the tank?
A couple of months.

Tags
driftwood, preparing, question, tom barr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode