• 2 Post By Tbell805
  • 2 Post By Tbell805

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 Gallon Project

Hey guys,
My setup is I have a 10 gallon planted tank, diy citric acid co2, a finnex planted+, and eco complete substrate. I have dwarf hair grass, amazon sword, java fern, italian val, xmas moss wall, and anacharis. What do you think of the setup? My dhg is melting but I think they grew it emersed and is now adapting to being submerged. I am experiencing some green algae on the glass but that is basic maintenance. I do weekly 20% water changes and dose daily. I'm looking forward to the dhg growing in. I think it should look nice. My goal is to slowly get rid of the anacharis because it grows so fast and is always detaching itself and floating. Plus it has these weird roots that shoot out of it. Makes it like an obstacle course for my fish. The fish I have is a male veiltail betta and 5 cory cats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150924_162422.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	521905  

morfeeis and morfeeis like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You might want to check your fert levels. Those roots are usually a sign of a plant struggling for nutrients. That also could be what y your DHG isn't doing well. I would also break up the DHG more than you have it. 2 to 4 blades in each plug. It will carpet better this way and look less clumpy. Are you sure that 5 cory cats in a 10 gallon will work? Unless they are dwarf calories, I think that tank is too small for them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tips loach guy! The Cories are just in there as a temporary home until the 30 is ready for them! I dose the seachem line for ferts (potassium, flourish, excel, phosphorous, nitrogen) at the recommended dosage. Should I up the dosage?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 04:22 PM
Algae Grower

Cory cats and bettas gulp air, so they can take more crowded conditions. Like LoachGuy said, dwarf cories would be no problem but even "regular" cories come in a variety of sizes and not just by age. With no other fish, they could do just fine. --- One man's opinion
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The dosage on the bottle is for a low tech non co2 tank. You need to dose 4 or 5 times the rate suggested on the bottle which is why you see people suggest dry ferts so often. For the cost of a months worth of the Seachem line you can purchase a years supply of dry ferts.

Also, that Amazon sword will get bigger than your whole tank. A 29 gallon is borderline for being big enough but it is certainly too much for a 10. And rather than getting rid of the Anacharis you need to add more fast growing plants so they out-compete the algae for nutrients.

Overall I like your set up but you need more plants to keep the algae down as well as the other changes I mentioned.

What type of light do you have and how long is it on each day?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
FertFriend
I would trust what the calculator on there says about the amount to dose. Be sure to
scroll the page down.
Light is overkill for that tank, but if you allow some of the anacharis to build up on the
top of the water and just throw out the excess so some light gets through it may be OK
with the DIY CO2. Anacharis is a floating plant anyway.
What kind of filter?
An Amazon sword can get 20-22" tall. Crypt Parva is a light green but grows very slowly. Crypt Petchii is a darker green and grows faster, but both stay smaller. 4-5"

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tips guys! I spread out the dhg more and split those clumps. I am letting the anacharis float and gave the amazon sword more room. I'm going to constantly prune it until it gets to large and then switch over to some of the plants you mentioned Raymond S. I have a aqua clear 20 filter and a finnex fugeray planted+ light. Some stuff I am working on next is doing a paintball co2 setup and raising the light higher or putting some screen over it. I was just getting to the bottom of my seachem lineup so I bought the EI dosing package from greenleafaquariums.com. Thanks for the tips guys! I am learning a lot!
morfeeis and morfeeis like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys just wanted to give you an update. I have received my dry ferts and am doing the EI dosing and I also received my regulator so I was able to setup my pressurized CO2 system! I also added in a new driftwood and some dwarf sag! My italian val has taken off and I now have about 7 vals when I started with one. The christmas moss is growing in nicely I am constantly trying to get debris out of it :-P I spread out the dhg and now it is going to be the waiting game. I am going to keep pruning and once my plants start to take off I am going to add some crypt and get rid of the anacharis. As always if you have any comments feel free to let me know!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151012_115327-2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	528338  

Name:	20151012_155453.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	528346  

Name:	20151012_155438.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	528354  

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The wood is better than what was there before. Any of the DHG still growing ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah the dhg is growing. I could tell that it needed nutrients and more CO2 so I am interested to see if there will be any new growth now that I have the system more balanced

Tags
anacharis, christmas moss, dwarf hair grass, italian val, java fern

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode