wwhat am I suppose to do ?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Question wwhat am I suppose to do ??

Im planning on doing a low-tech low light tank which is a 20 gallon high with mineralized top soil as substrate. There is not a local source for co2 around where I live and I done know what im suppoase to do as far as co2. People have told me I wont need co2 but I think I would be better off if I had some kind of it . I dont want to hassle with diy co2 so im looking for suggestions . Once I know I can do the planted tank thing I will be making my own 40 gallon long tank as an upgrade.

Joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
low tech and low light wont need the co2.

what lights are you running, what plants are you getting
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
You definitely don't need CO2, especially with low-light. But that being said, CO2 only helps things, regardless of the amount of light. So when you're ready, I highly recommend you visit greenleafaquariums.com to purchase a system. The owner, Orlando, is a frequent poster here, and I think you'll find him very helpful. I know I did!

DIY co2 sucks (even though it does work), and I think it's safe to say I'll never bother with that mess ever again!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy9812 View Post
low tech and low light wont need the co2.

what lights are you running, what plants are you getting
2 x 14 watts of t5 lighting here is a link to my light fixture
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...lestriplight24

As for plants I was thinking Java fern-neddle leaf, Anubias, Crypts, Rotola green Narrow and Downi.
I dont want too many plants because I want room for fish and mabye some shrimp
Joey
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
You definitely don't need CO2, especially with low-light. But that being said, CO2 only helps things, regardless of the amount of light. So when you're ready, I highly recommend you visit greenleafaquariums.com to purchase a system. The owner, Orlando, is a frequent poster here, and I think you'll find him very helpful. I know I did!

DIY co2 sucks (even though it does work), and I think it's safe to say I'll never bother with that mess ever again!
There is no place local to get co2 refilled where I am Thats the problem and I didnt want to go the DIY co2 route are there any other options ?

Joey
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:01 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe123 View Post
2 x 14 watts of t5 lighting here is a link to my light fixture
T5 lighting is quite a bit more efficient than T12 lighting (of which the WPG guideline was based on). As a result, you may only have 1.4 WPG, but in reality, with T5 lighting, you have quite a bit more light.

This increase in light may bump you up to the point where you will need CO2. If you really don't want CO2, perhaps you could raise your lights a few inches higher.

Quote:
There is no place local to get co2 refilled where I am Thats the problem and I didnt want to go the DIY co2 route are there any other options ?
I would first check the phone book for any companies that deal with or sell: homemade beer, fire extinguishers or welding. These kind of stores usually will have CO2 tanks and/or refills available.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
See if there are any homebrew places, that is where I get mine filled.

Eheim Pimp #381
Raleigh Aquarium Society Member
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
T5 lighting is quite a bit more efficient than T12 lighting (of which the WPG guideline was based on). As a result, you may only have 1.4 WPG, but in reality, with T5 lighting, you have quite a bit more light.

This increase in light may bump you up to the point where you will need CO2. If you really don't want CO2, perhaps you could raise your lights a few inches higher.

I would first check the phone book for any companies that deal with or sell: homemade beer, fire extinguishers or welding. These kind of stores usually will have CO2 tanks and/or refills available.
I believe Hoppy said this light fixture would keep me in the low to low medium light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottomFeeder View Post
See if there are any homebrew places, that is where I get mine filled.

Already checked I live out in the sticks lol
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:17 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
... Already checked I live out in the sticks lol
Buy a big CO2 cylinder like a 20 Lbs one. This way you won't have to go into town but once a year or maybe longer. Someone recently purchased a 30 lbs one really, really cheap.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Downoi has reputation for being difficult... I wish you luck with it but don' be too disappointed if it dies...

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
Buy a big CO2 cylinder like a 20 Lbs one. This way you won't have to go into town but once a year or maybe longer. Someone recently purchased a 30 lbs one really, really cheap.
Thats an idea Ill have to consider seriously Ill have to check some other places like in lower part of Tennesse for co2 refillers. I wouldnt mind the drive if it will last that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seds View Post
Downoi has reputation for being difficult... I wish you luck with it but don' be too disappointed if it dies...
Im not excepting it to do to well but its one I have to try Ill probably try about 2-3 stems of it just to see if it will make it. Like I said I dont want plant too heavily.

Joey
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Flourish Excel will work fine for a low-moderate tank, and won't be terribly expensive for a 20 gallon tank. You can buy it online from BigAls or Dr.s Foster & Smith, with one of them usually offering a good price for large jugs of the stuff.

One potential "problem" when you buy a big tank of CO2 is that it takes a very small leak to cause the loss of all of that CO2 in a week or two. Anytime you use pressurized CO2 you have to be very careful about leak checking if you want to get full use of the CO2 you are buying.

Hoppy
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Excel works fine!

Soda machines! Go to a restaurant or fastfood...and ask who refills the CO2 tanks on their soda machines. Usually they have 20# tanks. There's a McDonalds or B. King almost everywhere.

"No se vive celebrando victorias, sino superando derrotas."
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
There *has* to be a welding shop nearby you, I don't care how out in the sticks you are! Don't people in the boonies have to weld from time to time?

My cousin is a welder and he lives in one of the most rural, backwoods places remaining in Florida, so I think if you search around you'll find SOMEONE who can refill a CO2 tank for you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode