How to properly ship plants..... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
How to properly ship plants.....

I'm here to try and teach people how to properly package plants for shipping. Today I received my second batch of just about useless plants from a raok. I know you are being nice enough to ship your extras for a low cost but if you don't package them correctly then they are useless to the buyer and just a waste of money. I will not be buying another raok.

How to with pictures....

When you ship don't use open ended sandwich bags. They will not keep moisture in at all!!! Use zip locks bags or even double zip lock bags. Put 1 zip lock with plants wrapped in paper towels inside another zip lock bag to keep in the moisture. Tape the top if you think it's necessary. Also put alot of water!! Your paying for flat rate shipping up to 70 pounds. No reason not too. It will insure your plants survive!!! Wrap the zip lock in newspaper or something similar. This will help the package from sliding around and will help a little to keep the heat out longer. You can also use thin Styrofoam sheets lining the inside of the box to resist the weather. Increases your cost by less than $.75!!!

I'm tired of getting dead plants because someone either didn't know how to do it properly or just didn't care to take the time to do it right or was being cheap. First pic is of stuff from today of what was supposed to be red root floaters and guppy grass. The last pic is from last week of stuff that was poorly packaged and completely useless.Maybe the green mush in pic 1 was the guppy grass?

I did get one unidentified plant and some of the floaters that might survive.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 08:00 PM. Reason: ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:33 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
The only thing I will disagree with is the need for a lot of water. That just is not necessarily. You just need enough to keep the paper towel wet.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do a lot of water just to insure the plants are always wet and if for some reason the bag gets a hole then just maybe it will keep more water in long enough to make it to the delivery. But I ask why not add alot of water if it doesn't change your shipping cost? Just an extra safety precaution.

Fyi: both packages were bone dry. I couldn't have squeezed 2 drops out of all the paper towels combined.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good to know thanks for the heads up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 01:20 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Just for the record. I often buy off a guy on eBay who ships the plants in an empty sealed bag with only the wet on them that they came out of the tank with. Never lost one. Always healthy and shipped USPS priority mail. I guess the point is, there is more than one way to do.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well soaked paper towel with plants folded in the middle is sufficient. I have gotten them in just zip-lock baggies that were taped and that works as well, though shipping them without wet paper towels lets them dry a tad to much for my liking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
Just for the record. I often buy off a guy on eBay who ships the plants in an empty sealed bag with only the wet on them that they came out of the tank with. Never lost one. Always healthy and shipped USPS priority mail. I guess the point is, there is more than one way to do.
I have only had plants shipped to me once. They were in a shipping envelope. Each plant was in a Ziploc bag that had the end that opens folded over and boxing tape was used to ensure a good seal. The only water that was in there came with what the plant pulled out of the tank. All plants came in absolutely perfect condition.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Quote:
The only thing I will disagree with is the need for a lot of water. That just is not necessarily. You just need enough to keep the paper towel wet.
Quote:
I completely agree with this. It is not necessary to wrap plants in wet paper towels. The few times I have got plants that were a pile of mush is when the seller wrapped them in paper towels. In the summer the tightly wrapped plants that are wrapped with towels acted like a blanket around the plants. I'm not saying that in some cases you might not receive healthy plants wrapped in paper towels but the best method I have seen is just taking the plants out of the tank and putting them in a bag and making sure there is air in the bag and a little bit of moisture. The air space will act as insulation. There is always the weather that has to be factored in. In extreme temps, either really cold or really hot I would not use wet paper towels. I would definitely not fill a bag with water and put the plants in.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Here's another reason you don't want a lot of water. If it does leak, the shipping box is history (as are your plants)! I ship mine wrapped in damp paper towels, but I see ua hua's point. I'll have to try shipping in just the taped ziplock bag next time.

Have you succumbed to the pleasure of Multiple Tank Syndrome? I feel your pain!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry i shouldn't say alot of water.if you look at the bag in pic 3 the water is about a third of the bag. I usually fill mine to that level. I have shipped atleast 10 like that for my raok offers and no one has said they were in bad shape. I've also sent about 20 bags through evil bay auctions and they also arrived fine.

Thank you for the explanation ua hua. That does make sense about the paper towels.

I too have gotten plants that were only in a bag and ones in really damp paper towels in a bag and both were fine. I just figured alot of water insured a better chance of keeping the plants safe.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 08:01 PM. Reason: .
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:48 AM
Algae Grower

I would listen to him, I received plant's from him that were not only perfect but had NO die off or melt back when I planted them. Granted I am not on his favorite person list because I failed to ship his plants back in a timely manner ( really am taking a long time ) I did however compensate him out of guilt.

With that aside, his plant's came perfect, better then some of the online shop's I have bought from honestly. You can really tell he ships with care.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:56 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Im a fan of wet paper towels.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
a mildly damp napkin and a double zip ziplock bag will suffice with insulation.

I use to drench/put a lot of water (until a member taught me not to) in my packages but that technique only works if both the seller and buyer has a fair weather but if someone has a hot weather it usually overheats the package ( increasing the odds of the plants dying).
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 05:38 AM
Planted Member

Keeep in mind too, that if you're in Alabama and Getting plants from Florida, whatever works for you probably isn't sufficient for someone shipping from Maine to California. If we're giving blanket advice to people across the continent, use a wet paper towel. It doesn't hurt, and sometimes is absolutely necessary.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
My experience:

Purchasing plants - the BEST condition plants were shipped to me in inflated bags tied off somehow with a minimal amount of water. This method(in my mind anyway) maintains humidity as well as providing some air(CO2/O2) and prevents plants from being crushed. I have received many plants in wetted paper towels inside Ziploc bags and. The vast majority of plants sent to me like this have been fine if not perfect. The ones arriving in poorest condition have been wrapped in a grocery store bag and paper towels much like the picture OP posted.

Shipping plants: I PERSONALLY subscribe to the wet towels and Ziploc bags taped off. No complaints from this method to-date. If I were to step-up my game on the selling I would invest in the plastic bags and rubber bands. It seems more professional and certainly provides a better shipping environment for the plants. As it is I don't sell enough plants to invest in these bags.

I haven't read through the RAOK/FS stickies in a while but perhaps there should be a thread for preferred/ideal shipping methods? Or, at least a shipping how-to with different packaging methods.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode