Bugs On My Arrow Head - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angry Bugs On My Arrow Head

I do not understand where these bugs keep coming from! I find them ONLY on my Sagittaria latifolia even though I have various other emerging plants also growing in submerged soil, I brought them from the outdoors I did not dip just washed them good and cut a lot of growth back. When I brought them back I noticed these bugs were on them and only them, I removed them all and they have been gone for a week or two. The stems are in water and as far as I can tell these things do not like water so I am thinking they come from the plant itself. I remove them with tape and the next day more are there again, I know there are many plants in nature that work in tandem with certain insects could this be one? I had to check my bur-reed carefully when I brought it inside because there were tiny holes in the bottom of the stalks I could tell they were inhabited by something

There is a whole damn family! Or was haha I taped them...what are they?

The arrow head has been dying off too, as pictured here and I wonder if those bastards have anything to do with it:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There seem to be 2 kinds of bugs. Small ones, more on the left side of the stem reminds me aphids. I have no clue about the larger one.
I know aphids don't like water and some fishes (guppies) eat them.

That's all I can tell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ditto:
Big dark ones are adult aphids.
Little green ones are juvenile aphids.
I do not recognize the different shaped one. It is mosquito shaped.

Aphids have an interesting life cycle:
While the living is easy the females reproduce by bearing live young.
When fall comes they lay eggs that will overwinter.
Sometimes they have wings and fly to new food sources. They seem able to get inside houses to infest house plants and the above water portions of aquatic plants. When they come indoors they leave behind their natural predators, so the population can explode really fast.
If the plant is moveable (in a pot, in this case) I would take it outside and spray it with insecticidal soap. Then hose it off to remove the pesticide before bringing it back in, just to be sure the insecticidal soap will not get into the aquarium or pond water.
If it is just a few aphids, then hand removal, perhaps with a bit of tissue. They do not move much, and are easy to wipe away.
If the plant is in an aquarium, and cannot be hurt by bending it over I dunk it in the tank and slosh it around. This removes a lot of the aphids and the fish eat them. This is not possible with the Arrowhead- it would break the stems.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you! So if I break off all the stems and leave the roots that could work too? Hoping the plant stays alive.

My tank has no fish, but possibly there were eggs inside the stems that just hatched however there are two generations of them so that may not be the case.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode