Hydra and filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hydra and filter

I have a pretty young Walstad tank (Dirt, sand, small internal filter just to move water and CFL dome lights) tank is 25g cube.

I did a dry start for 5 weeks, planted more plants and filled the tank 3 weeks ago. The plants look GREAT however I have hydra on my glass now.

The tank has 4 pygmy corys, one nertie and a bunch of ramshorn and MTS.

Ive been searching and reading a lot about how to remove the hydra: heat, excel, gourami or de wormer. It seems like dewormer is my best bet. It seems like everyone says that flubendazol is the best bet but I keep reading threads that people are using fenbendazole at .1g per 10g.

I think that I will try fen at the dose above. Since i dont have filter, do I need to get one to run some charcoal a few days after I dose? Is a WC necessary? If there is a sticky or good informative thread please link me.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 01:56 AM
Planted Member

Hey powerplay85,

I wonder why you need to get rid if the hydra? Is it only because you don't want them in your tank?

I once got hydra accidentally in my tank together with some new plants. I actually tried to keep a few around, but they all vanished eventually. I have not seen that hydra do any harm, they just catch tiny custaceans (e.g daphnia or copropods) here and there and live off them. When they run out of food they'll die.

If you think it is neccesary to do the chemical treatment, make sure to use a charcoal filter afterwards.

good luck
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 02:19 AM
Planted Member

A lot of things will eat them. Even pond snails. I am pretty sure mollies do too and they are cheap enough to buy and return (without worrying about getting money back).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was just nervous that the hydra would hurt my cory's or baby shrimp(when I add Cherries). A few of the hydra have gone away. I will just let the rest run their course.

Thank you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode