Tank near wood stove? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank near wood stove?

The only spot for a larger (55-75g) tank in my place is near a wood stove that I run frequently all winter long.

It will be about 6-7' away. Unsure if temp spikes will be significant but it will surely effect the temp if even just allowing the heater a break.

Any idea if that's alright for fish such as tetras? I can't think of a way to figure out possible temperature spikes without he actually purchasing the tank.

Possibly the large tank size will have a tempering effect??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Larger the tank, small and slower the temperature changes. I might guess it would not be a major problem. But assuming that is wrong, one way to change it would be to add more air circulation. Any way to add a fan to move the heated air out of that room better. Depending on house design, a duct from above the stove, through the attic and coming down in one of the colder rooms can really added value to the heating. A fan is needed to move the air but it pays off well when the heat is used better. At one point I had a basement fireplace which made the basement room nearly unusable when the fireplace was used but adding ductwork to move the air to other parts of the house worked great.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 05:14 PM
Planted Member

My tank is about 7' away from our wood stove that we use to heat the entire floor for much of the winter. But, we damp it down so that temp at the thermostat (15 feet from stove and around a corner) doesn't usually go much over 72 or so. I keep my tank at 79, and I have never noticed a temp spike. As long as the air temp is less than your target tank temp, the tank should stay stable - your heater may cycle less, but the tank temp should be stable. My issue with temps comes during hot days in the summer - we don't have AC and temps in the house (and tank) reached 84 a couple times this summer.

-Justin

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have two tanks that share the den with the woodstove that runs about 6 months of the year. Actually it's 5 tanks with 3 29G's set in the stand I built for the 180G.

It's been that way for several years now, and really no ill effects. The evaporation can be a pita, but I only run the smallest of them open top. Honestly, it's the perfect counterbalance to the dry heat produced.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
One thing I would be concerned about with a woodstove is the amount of radiant heat coming off of it may soften the plastic rim of the tank...

6' is pretty close to a woodstove if it is running full bore, or accidental over-fire, and plastics soften at relatively low temperatures. You don't really need to melt the plastic, just weaken it or the sealant seams.

Edit: of course, part of this depends on how big a woodstove you are talking about.. I grew up with quite a large woodstove in the house, which later became a large woodstove with catalytic converter...

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You could try insulating the back three panes - I used to use cardboard to cut down the light from the window.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

started April 18, 2012
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 05:08 PM
Planted Member

How big is the wood stove?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 10:49 PM
Algae Grower

What kind of wood stove is it? Is it a nice insulated wood furnace, or is it a radiant heating proper wood stove?

If its a wood stove that heats radiantly, stand where you want to put the fish tank and see if you get uncomfortably hot. Most woodstoves arent going to get hot enough for 6-7 feet away for it to be a real issue, unless the tank is straight across from the glass door.

The tank will get up to the ambient temperature of the room though, so if your stove makes the room uncomfortably hot, youre probably going to boil the tank.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Put a large jug of water where the tank will be, get the wood stove going and check water temparature in the jug. If it doesn't increase much in the jug, the tank would be safe.

|
|
|
|
|
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great thanks! Excellent ideas. Will play with this before purchase.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode