Uv light and ei dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Uv light and ei dosing

Does uv light has any effect on the ferts that we use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
It has an effect on DTPA iron. I think I was losing around .1 ppm every 24 hours after testing my water. I used the Hannah HR Iron (egg looking one ) checker for testing and I was running my UV 24/7. I ended up not using the UV for now as I try to sort out some issues with my trace.

I'm not completely sure if it affects the trace elements in Plantex CSM+B but I will find out soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Planted Member

With EI dosing I would think there is enough residual that it wouldn't matter.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 04:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PortalMasterRy - did you continue testing after stopping the UV?

I had real issues keeping iron up also (and incidentally had a in-filter UV going but wasn't thinking about it).

I finally did a bunch of calibration tests and found my reagent, despite being new, was simply bad. I also found some tests (Seachem in particular) take a VERY long time to register DPTA, much longer than they say for "chelated" iron as they only tested ETDA (they confirmed this on their forum). I'm finding I need about 4 hours to get a good reading not the 45 minutes it suggests.

With fresh reagent and careful testing I found I was substantially overdosing iron, brining it up to almost 2ppm instead of the 0.1ppm I was aiming for. It still gets consumed fairly quickly, but nowhere near as much as I thought.

Personally I'd suggest anyone testing carefully mix a known solution up for the target you are aiming for (all it takes is a few drops in a bucket) and test that before assuming your tests are good.

So I'm really curious how sure you are that it affected DTPA iron? I'm not saying it didn't, but this is the first time I've seen that, and I'm concerned as my UV's are on all the time.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
PortalMasterRy - did you continue testing after stopping the UV? .
Yes and I actually ended up hitting 1.1+ ppm iron (vs .6 ppm) in less than a few days because I was dosing both .01 Boron with .1 ppm Fe from a special CSM+B/10% DTPA Fe mix plus an additional .1 ppm 10% DTPA every day. I had to stop dosing the additional Fe because .2 ppm/day would yield me about 1.6+ ppm Fe at the end of the week.

I think I was losing more iron when I was running the UV 24/7. I decided at one point to turn off the UV during the photo period only and I remember I was still losing .1 ppm Fe a day.

Also after completely abandoning my UV, I was able to hit 2.5+ Fe PPM this week. Half of my rotala's are now stunted. Don't know if this was either my 1:1 Ca/Mg Ratio @ 40 PPM, 100 PPM K, too much trace or too high Fe.

Also I remember finding a discussion on another site where a guy tested his Fe levels and found he was losing around .1 ppm a day while running the UV 24/7.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 04:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Thank you. I need to experiment a bit. I'm also recovering I think from stunted rotala's (tiny leaves) and not sure what caused it, also Wisteria just stopped growing at all, no new growth after previously going nuts. Yet Crypts and Val's are going nuts, growing like mad.

One aspect of this is that iron of course can't be destroyed by UV light, only the chemical form could be changed. So if we are dumping in a lot of chelated iron and it's becoming unavailable, it has to go somewhere -- wonder where it goes.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 03:37 PM
Planted Member

Another thing to keep in mind is that if the crypts and vals are going nuts, there might not be as many nutrients for the wisteria. Not that this is necessarily the issue, but just a thought.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode