2Likes
  • 2 Post By end3r.P
  • 2 Post By WaterLife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
29 Gallon Tank - Stocking Advice Needed

The tank is a 29 Gallon High tank. I have soft water ranging from 6-8dgh.

Currently in the tank is a Male Albino Bristlenose Pleco that is about...2.5-3" long. Still juvenile. I'm considering the following stocking options.

This is currently a lightly planted tank with driftwood in it. I am using Seachem's Flourite as the substrate. I'm planning on getting a lot more plants in there as time goes.

Option 1:

Option 2 (slightly overstocked but that wont be an issue):

Option 3 (slightly overstocked but that wont be an issue):

The dwarf gourami will be put into the tank tomorrow. I know the potential problems the gourami could have with the rams but I am prepared to separate them if necessary. I have bigger tanks at home he can go in.

This tank will be set up at my office and a lot of people here want the Bolivian Rams. Also, the bigger school of neon is quite appealing. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 10:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Option 2 is not an option. The angelfish will eat the neons and they will just become expensive food.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yeah, besides the possibility of the rams and gourami fighting and the angelfish eating neon tetras when it's big enough, the others are compatible.

I would do option 3, just to have the tank "more full of life" by having more bottom dwellers with the Corydoras there, so all water levels have active fish occupants.

But option 1 is fine and it all comes down to personal preference.

By the way, you actually can safely overstock a bit depending on how much biomedia you have to handle the bioload, and how much turn over rate your filter provides, but that's another topic so I will leave it at that.
I actually bump the 8 neon tetras to 10 if going with Option 3. I just feel thats a better amount.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I like option 3.
If you went with 3 Otos for algae, not the BN, you could then bump up the school of Neons.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very sound advice everyone. Thank you for the input. Option 2 has been removed from the choices.

I don't think we'll be going with Otos because I already have the BN in there at the moment but maybe in the future. I do like Otos.

I'll let everyone at the office make the decision between the 20 Neons or the 10 Neons and the Cories. Personally, I love cories. (this was actually my old tank back in 2012)

Thanks all!

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here is a picture of the 29 gallon tank as it is right now (see attached)

Fish currently in the tank.
- Shoal of 10 Neon Tetras (I have a lone tetra at home who will be joining this shoal for a total of 11).
- Shoal of 8 Bronze Cory Catfish (They have also laid eggs everywhere! This is a great sign of good water quality)
- Male Albino Bristlenose Pleco (Aka Dave or Bushy Brows)

Plants currently in the tank:
- Java Moss (the bundle in the middle) - This will probably be removed because it doesnít seem to be doing well in this environment.
- Dwarf Sagittaria (grass plant on bottom right)
- Anubias Nana (wide leaves)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fishtank.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	520001  

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
Here is a picture of the 29 gallon tank as it is right now (see attached)

Fish currently in the tank.
- Shoal of 10 Neon Tetras (I have a lone tetra at home who will be joining this shoal for a total of 11).
- Shoal of 8 Bronze Cory Catfish (They have also laid eggs everywhere! This is a great sign of good water quality)
- Male Albino Bristlenose Pleco (Aka Dave or Bushy Brows)

Plants currently in the tank:
- Java Moss (the bundle in the middle) - This will probably be removed because it doesn’t seem to be doing well in this environment.
- Dwarf Sagittaria (grass plant on bottom right)
- Anubias Nana (wide leaves)
This is going to be a fun tank -- enjoy. I'm planning something similar in a 38 gallon with cardinal tetras (16-20), pygmy corydoras (16) and Bolivian rams (2-4). Great to hear the corys are already breeding.

As for the Java moss, it apparently can take a few weeks to get used to a new environment. Why not break it up (so more of it can get light, nutrients), try to tie or superglue some of it to the driftwood, and see how it does for a few weeks?
Termato and Termato like this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tank looks nice!!

It looks to me like you have eggs all over your glass. How can that be with one fish in the tank?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you all for the compliments!

I have a shoal of cories and tetras in there. The eggs are from the cories. I'm also planning on adding some mystery snails in the tank as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by end3r.P View Post
This is going to be a fun tank -- enjoy. I'm planning something similar in a 38 gallon with cardinal tetras (16-20), pygmy corydoras (16) and Bolivian rams (2-4). Great to hear the corys are already breeding.

As for the Java moss, it apparently can take a few weeks to get used to a new environment. Why not break it up (so more of it can get light, nutrients), try to tie or superglue some of it to the driftwood, and see how it does for a few weeks?
Thanks for the advice. I'm totally going to do this. That is a great idea.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Termato, looks to be doing great. That wood has some character to it.
Congrats on the corys already spawning! Surprised the tetras haven't eaten them all.
Take a look at this recent thread, has some good info on how to take care of the Corydoras eggs
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21...nity-tank.html
Termato and Termato like this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you. I took that wood out of the 150G in my house. Now I need to find better wood for it hahah.

They are baby tetras thank you for the link. I will definitely take a look at it because I've been wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Termato, looks to be doing great. That wood has some character to it.
Congrats on the corys already spawning! Surprised the tetras haven't eaten them all.
Take a look at this recent thread, has some good info on how to take care of the Corydoras eggs
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21...nity-tank.html

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode