Big water mess: best way to dry carpet? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Big water mess: best way to dry carpet?

Short story: Daughter's little Westie decided to play tug-of-war with me during a water change. Shouting angrily only made the dog excited enough to bark and keep pulling until the hose came out of the vacuum, and she ran off with her soaking wet prize with me chasing her and swearing. Water everywhere.

I blotted the mess with a towel, and put large fans blowing over it.

What else can you do for wet carpet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (18/100%)
Sometimes ill use a wet/dry vac. Once most of the water is up, keep the fans on it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve0 View Post
Sometimes ill use a wet/dry vac. Once most of the water is up, keep the fans on it.
I forgot all about using a shop vac, I'll start it now.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
The Wife. She'll be angry but she'll fix it. LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:09 AM
Algae Grower

*dog trainer hat on* Before next water change, I would teach the dog 'trade.' You keep a handful of appropriate toys and/or treats with you and every time the dog picks up a toy, you trade the dog for another toy or treat. Soon the dog will let go of something very quickly to take another thing from your hand and then you can transition to 'drop it' from trade by asking for 'trade' and then delaying the reward.

Also, teach a very strong 'leave it' using the water hose. To teach leave it, drop the thing you don't want them to touch on the floor right in front of their nose and say 'leave it.' When they inevitably try to go for it, put your foot/leg/whole body as necessary between the dog and the item you do not want them to touch. This is called body blocking. Remove your body/leg/foot from between the dog and the item and body block again when they go for it. Don't speak to the dog except that very first time you say 'leave it' at the beginning. When the dog no longer goes for the thing on the floor when you remove your foot, immediately pick up the item and give the dog a treat. Then drop the item and start over with body blocking until the dog no longer immediately goes for the thing. Do this every day until the next water change and the dog will rapidly learn that when you say leave it, they are not going to be allowed access to the thing. If the dog does NOT require a body block to keep them from going towards the thing anymore, then you continue to practice regularly. You drop the thing and say leave it, watch them not go for the thing, then pick up the thing and give them a treat. Increase the duration between saying leave it and picking up the thing.

Dogs don't generalize well, but once you have the most important thing taught under 'leave it' (in this case the water hose) continue teaching so they understand that leave it means leave it no matter what the object is. Throw hot dogs on the ground, dog treats, anything they're really, really going to want and keep increasing the duration. Regular practice is very important, but this way you can end up with a dog under voice command no matter how excited. Puppies as young as just 4 or 5 months old can learn this skill completely solidly and they can begin learning it as young as eight weeks.

*dog trainer hat off*

Sorry if that seemed insulting, it's just an important skill and a hard one to teach. Because you never know. Today the item might be a water change hose. Tomorrow the item might be a medication that could kill the dog within minutes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
For drying the carpet, it can get complicated if there was a lot of water and it stood long enough to saturate the pad underneath. Part of the question depends on how much humidity there is in the air. In your area, I might quess you can get by but in humid areas, it can need to have the carpeting pulled off the tank strip around the room edge so the pad can be dried. Some places where mold is more problems than the drier areas. Sometimes it is worth the time/expense of having a carpet cleaner in to clean the carpet and suck water out with the stronger vacs they use. Sort of a gamble at times? We can wait and see if we start to get a smell which may mean mold under the carpet. That means replace the carpet. Or we can deal with the time/expense of doing more now , hoping to head off even more expense later.
Life is a series of traumas?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 07:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hat's off to TinyPlants! Teaching the dog to leave things alone is very important.

Carpet drying: I would be proactive and call a professional. The fishy water will smell even if mold does not get started. While you can dry the carpet, you are leaving the fishy smell behind. You might not notice right away, but it is there. And will get worse.
As noted above, the professionals have stronger vacuums to get more of the water out.

Small spills:
1) Paper towel (2-3 sheets thick)
2) Newspaper on top of the paper towel (several sheets to a lot of sheets)
3) Stand on the wet area.

The paper towels are very absorbent. They will suck up the water better than newspaper. They are delicate, though.

Newspaper may not be great at initially soaking up the water and pulling it out of the carpet, but it can hold a lot of water. With the paper towel to pull it out of the carpet, the newspaper is good at holding more water. It also stands up better to being stepped on, and won't fall apart like paper towel can.

Stepping on it will compress the paper towel deep into the carpet where the water is.

This probably won't remove much of the water from a deep pad, though. Small amount of water won't soak in very deep, and good ventilation can remove it. But careful, the more you depend on evaporation, the more fishy smell you are leaving in the carpet and pad.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Hat's off to TinyPlants! Teaching the dog to leave things alone is very important.

Carpet drying: I would be proactive and call a professional. The fishy water will smell even if mold does not get started. While you can dry the carpet, you are leaving the fishy smell behind. You might not notice right away, but it is there. And will get worse.
As noted above, the professionals have stronger vacuums to get more of the water out.

Small spills:
1) Paper towel (2-3 sheets thick)
2) Newspaper on top of the paper towel (several sheets to a lot of sheets)
3) Stand on the wet area.

The paper towels are very absorbent. They will suck up the water better than newspaper. They are delicate, though.

Newspaper may not be great at initially soaking up the water and pulling it out of the carpet, but it can hold a lot of water. With the paper towel to pull it out of the carpet, the newspaper is good at holding more water. It also stands up better to being stepped on, and won't fall apart like paper towel can.

Stepping on it will compress the paper towel deep into the carpet where the water is.

This probably won't remove much of the water from a deep pad, though. Small amount of water won't soak in very deep, and good ventilation can remove it. But careful, the more you depend on evaporation, the more fishy smell you are leaving in the carpet and pad.
Good advice, but before calling a pro, it may be worth renting a carpet cleaning machine from your local hardware/HD/Lowes and run it over the carpet. The few times we have suffered semi major spills, we rented one and it cleaned it up well.

180g - Tropheus Bemba, Syno Petricola
125g - Planted SA Community, Firemouths & Acaras
90g - High Tech Planted
20g - low tech planted
6g - Eheim low tech nano planted
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Once the carpet feels dry, keep running the blower / fan over it for a couple of days.

If there's any sort of wood under it, the carpeting will dry way before the plywood or wood flooring beneath it.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:04 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Once the carpet feels dry, keep running the blower / fan over it for a couple of days.

If there's any sort of wood under it, the carpeting will dry way before the plywood or wood flooring beneath it.
Yes, this is very true.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I bought a carpet cleaner years ago when we were renting, had the cheap beige carpet, and a toddler. Has come is useful with a few spills over the years. It is right that the carpet may smell for a few weeks if too much was spilled or the water.

BTW growing up on a ranch where our methods of training dogs are more direct, it always cracks me up to see dog "training" advice on the web.

Only a few things to remember to know about a dog. 1: Train with the instincts not against them. 2: Maintain dominance at all time (never ever let the dog win). 3: Dogs can read your expressions and tonality of your voice. You have to do a little acting when you are around dogs. "Oh no fluffy don't do that!! Mommy doesn't like it when you do that" in a soft voice does nothing (actual quote from a neighbor).

For the Westie, like all terriers, they are bred to attack small animals. You need to train the "Drop it" command. You've got about a snowballs chance in a very hot place of getting them not to attack something that catches their eye. So instead train them to drop something, when they inevitable go for it.

How to train drop it? I am not gonna write that on the internet as it will cause some unhappy people. Ranch training is not politically correct. A poorly trained dog on a ranch that starts roaming the neighborhood and gets into trouble. Trouble dogs are dead dogs... I buried more than a few neighbors dogs after I shot them chasing livestock growing up.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 03:42 AM
Planted Member

I would say that besides drop it, I think leave it is an important one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode