What has your kid(s) put in your tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
What has your kid(s) put in your tank?

So my 3 year old daughter (whom I refer to as my Darth Vader Princess), was supposed to be down for her nap today. When it was time to get her up, I opened the bedroom door and realized quite quickly that she had been awake for some time. Her room was a mess, there was marker up and down her arms, and she exclaimed "it's a birthday party for the fishies!!!!!".

I looked at my 20 gallon and noticed the water was rather brown, and had many more items in it than before she went down for her nap. Items included about 3 full cans of fish food, several other types of food in varying quantities, many rocks from my son's rock collection, ticket stubs that he had saved for souvenirs, a little coin purse, caps from markers (thank the Lord that the markers themselves didn't make it in there), leggos, a notebook, and a fiber optic light. So after changing somewhere around 80 gallons of water, I got the vast majority out, and plan on doing another water change in 3 days.

So all of this got me thinking that it might be fun to see what items ended up in their tanks from kids, and the kids' reason for putting it in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
One of my exs had a tank and her kid put in a whole bottle of fish oil cuz she thought it would help the fish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:23 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
6 year old nephew dumped a whole can of fish food in once. May he rest in peace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
A detergent scoop. Amazingly enough, in spite of their being around aquariums all their lives and having many opportunities to do damage, that was pretty much it. Of course, it killed everything in the tank...

My youngest though, would not leave the magna float alone. It wouldn't have been so bad, but he was always knocking things off the counter to clean the tank. Some things don't handle being knocked in the floor very well.

Oh right, SecondBoy was fascinated by the chemistry set, and is why my cabinet has handles mounted on it, and used to sport a piece of chain with a lock.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:14 PM
Algae Grower

This is a cute post! Not anything damaging in my tanks thankfully! But rocks, fake plant leaves from tree, coins,mermaid toy, and flowers from garden all the time. My daughter feels the boy named roxy(betta) needs them, "they make him happy". And in my 20 long the kids play catch the fish, on occasion when mommy is busy doin something else. I love my crazy kids!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
So my 3 year old daughter (whom I refer to as my Darth Vader Princess), was supposed to be down for her nap today. When it was time to get her up, I opened the bedroom door and realized quite quickly that she had been awake for some time. Her room was a mess, there was marker up and down her arms, and she exclaimed "it's a birthday party for the fishies!!!!!".

I looked at my 20 gallon and noticed the water was rather brown, and had many more items in it than before she went down for her nap. Items included about 3 full cans of fish food, several other types of food in varying quantities, many rocks from my son's rock collection, ticket stubs that he had saved for souvenirs, a little coin purse, caps from markers (thank the Lord that the markers themselves didn't make it in there), leggos, a notebook, and a fiber optic light. So after changing somewhere around 80 gallons of water, I got the vast majority out, and plan on doing another water change in 3 days.

So all of this got me thinking that it might be fun to see what items ended up in their tanks from kids, and the kids' reason for putting it in there.
My middle one and a friend "wandered off" during a conversation and they ended up in the fish room. By the time I realized where they were it was too late. Thankfully (the fish didn't agree), they concentrated on one tank, and decided to "feed the fishies". They cleaned me out of any available fish food, every medication (learned a lesson on that one) and they started adding dog food (Peaches thankfully wasn't food-agressive). Couldn't see the back of a 29G, or the few fish still alive. Yours certainly went the full yard by adding toys and reading material so the fish wouldn't get bored. That was over 22 years ago. These are stories you never forget if you stay in the hobby.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
well, my husband insisted on a fake old shipwreck decoration, does that count? lol! Thank goodness it's very small, haha!

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbora View Post
This is a cute post! Not anything damaging in my tanks thankfully! But rocks, fake plant leaves from tree, coins,mermaid toy, and flowers from garden all the time. My daughter feels the boy named roxy(betta) needs them, "they make him happy". And in my 20 long the kids play catch the fish, on occasion when mommy is busy doin something else. I love my crazy kids!
I love these stories! I can totally see my daughter doing the same thing.

I wish that I would have taken a photo of the tank. I didn't think of it as I needed to change as much water as possible before we had to leave for a soccer game.

I like the fish oil story. It might be my favorite as I can see myself using the same logic when I was a kid.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
well, my husband insisted on a fake old shipwreck decoration, does that count? lol! Thank goodness it's very small, haha!
Ok, that's mem except that one is a lego(!) pirate ship, and the other is this Mega Bloks viking/dragon something or the other (that's at least in natural colors. Can't say the same for the lego ship)

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Algae Grower

Wasn't my fish tank but years ago I had a small goldfish pond and my son who was maybe 4 at the time poured soap in it. Needless to say we didn't have goldfish anymore lol
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
If I had kids I would seriously consider not having tanks for a while.

Used to work with a guy who told me he once had 2 large established reef tanks. During the winter his kids boiled water and dumped it in the top of the tank because 'the fish were cold'

Everything died

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
6 year old nephew dumped a whole can of fish food in once. May he rest in peace.
lol

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A friend found pizza and hotdogs floating in here koi pond.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
If I had kids I would seriously consider not having tanks for a while.

Used to work with a guy who told me he once had 2 large established reef tanks. During the winter his kids boiled water and dumped it in the top of the tank because 'the fish were cold'

Everything died

lol
Similar, but unintentional:

There was a fellow on Reefcentral that I had the pleasure of knowing and seeing one of the most amazing SW and Reef tanks I've come across and he had several of them running. The largest tank (240 I think) was tied into a basement filter system shared by a few other tanks in the basement. The room behind the massive upstairs display tank was also the laundry room. One day his daughter was doing laundry and knocked over the bottle of laundry detergent. By the time she realized it and picked up the bottle a lot had spilled on the floor..................and ran all the way to the hole in the floor where water supply lines coming from the basement were located.

You guessed it. It ran right in to the filter system that was handling in the area of 500G of SW. He showed me pictures of the bubble bath his living room and basement turned into. It brought tears to his eyes, but I could only picture the laundry scene from the old movie Mr. Roberts. The total cost was about impossible to calculate and he left the hobby too.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 02:38 PM
Planted Member

I've heard more stories about adults nuking their tanks than kids doing stupid things. A friend added fish without quarantine and caught marine velvet, which killed everything in days in a 200g reef. Another famous case was a 300+ gallon flawless reef where the guy panicked and threw in an emergency salt water change using old dechlorinator. Everything died, and the water change wasn't needed. I've seen heaters break and nuke tanks. I've seen neglected tanks die off slowly.

I almost never see tanks die because of children. The worst I get are occasional little fingerprints on the glass.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Man, that with the reef system is almost funny. I mean; it wouldn't be funny at the time, especially if it was MY tank, but...wow.

It is somewhat a cautionary tale on why central systems might not be the best idea in the world.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode