Flourish Excel set off smoke detectors? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flourish Excel set off smoke detectors?

I dosed Flourish Excel for the first time this morning, 40mg in a 75 gallon tank. The smoke alarms in my apartment have gone off several times since, I can't determine the cause. The alarms have a picture of a carbon molecule on them, they must also function as carbon monoxide detectors. Didn't get any results searching for related terms on internets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Id contact your apartment management asap and have them look at your detectors. Nothing in our tanks would set off a smoke alarm unless it was on fire or melting. Carbon dioxide is used for our tanks and the alarms detect carbon monoxide. Excel isn't even carbon dioxide, it's a glutaraldehyde and water solution so excel is not the cause of your alarms going off. I apologize if I'm sounding short but if your detectors are detecting carbon monoxide, you need someone to check if there is carbon monoxide in your apartment because it is poisonous and can be fatal. I'd open some windows to get some ventation until you can get your alarm issues resolved. Just lookin out!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:09 AM
Planted Member

I think you're overreacting...there's no way excel will trigger a smoke alarm.
Did you pour it on the smoke detector?lol

I should be expecting the firefighters then at the rate I'm dosing excel.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:19 AM
Algae Grower

I've never had this happen to me either. Maybe someone else can share their experiences?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I really don't see any way Excel can trigger an alarm lol
You should probably get an expert to check around the house just to be safe and find the actual source, but do it as soon as possible.

Let us know how it goes, keep it safe Royal

The Fraternity of Dirt #169
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Just trying to rule things out, I thought it could be remotely possible. I cant get ahold of my property manager since it's sunday, but I got a smoke detector without a monoxide detector, which also goes off. I'm speculating it has something to do with this being the first day cold enough for the heating system is in use, maybe there's dust in the exhaust. Have to wait to tmrw to have it checked. Thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
unless it had some type of chemical reaction to another chemical in your tank and smoke started pouring out i highly doubt excel would set off your fire alarm
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Pretty sure its impossible. When I first read this thread I was slightly intrigued so I did a small test. I am in charge of our buildings fire life safety system at work. We have smoke detectors that are more than 10X as sensitive as standard detectors for our clean room, I dumped some Excel next to a intake pipe and got 0, I then took a CO detector that detects down to PPM and also got 0 ppm.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Many fire alarms aren't "smoke detectors" anymore. They are actually heat sensitive sensors - so I suspect the heat coming on probably triggered the alarms. However, if you got a carbon signal then perhaps the dust "burning" off may produce a level high enough to trip the sensor. Best to open windows and have it checked out as suggested!

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.

Last edited by HDBenson; 09-14-2015 at 06:19 AM. Reason: ...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode