Otocinclus or Amano Shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Which is the better algae eater?
Otocinclus 17 31.48%
Amano Shrimp 28 51.85%
Both 10 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to DUHK Send a message via Yahoo to DUHK
Smile Otocinclus or Amano Shrimp?

Otocinclus or Amano Shrimp? Which one is the better algae eater and overall tank buddy for your algae defense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Algae eating shrimp and fish cannot ever eliminate all algae in a tank. If they ever came close to doing so they would then starve. Otocinclus are interesting fish, and they do eat algae, but I have never been able to see a difference in the tank's appearance due to them. Amano shrimp, on the other hand, can virtually eliminate the clumps of brown algae that litter the substrate in some tanks, so I voted for them. It doesn't take many of those shrimps to make a visible difference, in my experience.

Hoppy
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Hoppy for your input! I want to put some sort of algae eater in my tank, but I wasn't sure which would be better.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I think you should have amanos and otos.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Many of my low-tech tanks suffer from high amounts of diatoms and brown algae. The Otos feast on it, so there is a noticeable difference for me.

Another thing to consider, depending on the type of fish kept, shrimp will be dinner to some while the otos will be left alone. Even Tiger Barbs leave otos alone in my 55g tank.

Eheim Pimp #381
Raleigh Aquarium Society Member
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
What Hoppy said. Still I think it's nice to have a few otos around as they cannot hurt and I think they are cool. Amanos too but if you have any decent sized fish they will eat them.

---------
My tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photography Website (my other hobby)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
i agree with church. either way, i've never been able to have them eat any of my clado algae or GSA, but i don't have any other algae. can you add in another option to the poll?
so its like this:
1. lots of otocinclus
2. lots of amano shrimp
3. only a few of each

Wilson

- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately demo, I don't know how to add more poll choices. If you show me, I'd gladly add them!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
What has been said is all good advice.

My two cents:

I had both and I found that in my low-light tank, the two Otos were just beasts if it was Brown Diatom algae (three of them cleaned up the whole 30g tank in two days after I got them). BUT if it was any other type of algae, they really couldn't be bothered. The Amano I had was more interested in detritus than algae but when he did, he ate green algae types and did a pretty decent job.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
I voted for otos...but that's because I've never kept amanos before

I agree with what Invert1 said about otos and brown algae. Otos seem to go crazy over it. Other algae...not so much. Nonetheless, they're fun little fish to watch.

And yeah why not have both!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Nerite snails trump both of them

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/94%)
I have both in my 40G, Both are interesting to have. Otos in my tank huddle in a pack of 4, same with the Amanos. Whenever I feed frozen foods the Amanos come out and I stick the rest of the frozen cube on the substrate near them... Ahh Shimp eating other shrimp(Frozen Brine Shrimp)....Oh and I have a few Zebra Nerites aswell which are cool, I should get a pic with everyone eating zucchini

GLA Fanboy*

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
My box filter on my 65 tall, which is 9 x 9 x 27 inch, was covered with a 3 inch thick matt of staghorn algae. I bought a bristlenose pleco and it cleared it all in a few days. Didn't get a picture... There is a stub of staghorn algae every so often, so it probably would come back soon if I moved him out. It also cleared the front of GDA and the back of diatoms.

Never had any otto or amano shrimp... But I do have a lot of brown algae on the ground of my new tank.

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just planted some HC, do you think I would have a problem with the otocinclus digging up the HC?
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
My otos were never diggers. They were shy and retiring - to the point that I had thought that 1 of them had died because I only could ever find two and then a few months later, voila all three (I definitely did a double take). But anyway, I never had them dig anything up, they usually hung out on long leaf-ed plants and ate away the algae (but only after the tank glass was completely scoured of brown diatom.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode