Cleaning up hospital tank for general use - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cleaning up hospital tank for general use

Hi all
I have a 10gal that my BN plecs were in temporarily before I moved them into their bigger home. About a week after the move I put a tiger barb into it and treated her with medication for various things (don't worry - I checked the labels, they were fine to be used together and were made by the same company). Tiger barb didn't survive. I've had various problems with my tigers and haven't yet been able to solve or successfully treat any of them yet. This was just the latest - fingers crossed for the last 6.
Anyways, I have two little matured filters in there that are still running. I've been feeding the good bacteria by putting in bits of food etc to keep the filters running while I decide what to do with the tank. I would like to use the tank for something small and pretty but how do I ensure the tank is now free of disease and free of medication. I could do an almost 100% water change and put carbon in the filters for a week or so to get rid of the treatments - would that work? But how about ensuring its disease free? Am I better just cleaning everything with say Milton steriliser and dechlorinator and starting over? Is there any way to save these matured filters?
All opinions appreciated and thanks in advance!

Please excuse my spelling and lack of paragraphs - its my phone's fault!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
80gal low light planted tiger barb/columbian tetra/BN plec tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
29gal just changing to heavily planted low tech, lots of bogwood causing "natural" terraces, pebbles, sand, pair of GBRs, ember tetras and otocinclus. Eek! Can't wait til its finished!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I THINK that the carbon and water change would work. Or If you have another aquarium you could put the 2 filters to use on it while you clean the 10 gallon.
JakeJ

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
If I were doing it, I wouldn't take any chances. I would empty it and wipe it all down with a diluted bleach solution. Let it try for a day and then move forward with reusing it.

If you want to use this a regular tank you will want to pick up another tank to use for qt or future treatments.

Eheim Pimp #381
Raleigh Aquarium Society Member

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for your opinions
I actually have another two tanks that are empty anyway so I have plenty of options for QT in future. It was the filters that I was particularly concerned about keeping matured but as mentioned I could put them in my big tank to mature them in future. I'll be giving everything a good clean then.
Cheers guys

Please excuse my spelling and lack of paragraphs - its my phone's fault!
80gal low light planted tiger barb/columbian tetra/BN plec tank
29gal just changing to heavily planted low tech, lots of bogwood causing "natural" terraces, pebbles, sand, pair of GBRs, ember tetras and otocinclus. Eek! Can't wait til its finished!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd sterilize the filters and throw away the media, personally.

I keep enough fish at any given time that I do my best to prevent cross-contamination.

If you've got other established tanks up and running you should never have to worry about cycling a new tank, anyways.

One of the reasons I've gone to using the Rena XP series of canisters on all of my tanks is it's fabulously easy to transfer media around (all the baskets and media are the same size no matter what size filter) and instantly cycle tanks.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode