plants and fish online - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
plants and fish online

im starting up a 55 gal planted tank, i was just wondering if anyone knows of any good online stores with the best prices and healthy plants and fish?
also is it a good idea to buy online? being that the water could be a lot different where i live than where the fish and plants come from.
dont local stores have most of there fish and plants shipped from different areas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Algae Grower

I have never ordered fish online, but Wednesday I order two Crypt blassi from Aquabotanic.com. They should be in my hands by tomorrow. I'll let you know how they arrived.
Unlike some others, Robert at Aquabotanic doesn't have a minimum purchase requirement. I didn't need $25-35 of plants (that's before the shipping cost). I have these coming to me for what amounts to less than $9 a plant. Considering no place here in Tulsa had them, that's not a bad price to pay.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
go to the swap and shop here on the forum. you're pretty sure to get healthy plants and you can usually get a pic of the exact plant that you ordered.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
+1 for Robert at AquaBotanic- I've never been disappointed in the quality of his plants (and they don't come with "hitchhikers" like alot of plants from the swap and shop- I'm just sayin'), although he once substituted a micro sword when he was temporarily out of stock on the HC I had ordered. Never bought fish online, but InvertzFactory sold me some nice nerite snails recently- I would imagine they do a great job with fish also.

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
You really shouldn't have any issues with fish coming from different water parameters as long as you do a good acclimation. When I get fish online I always do a drip acclimation. It is really quite easy. All you need is a length of air line tubing and a cheap gang valve like this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...2202&lmdn=Fish

Empty the fish out of the shipping bag into a container that will hold 2 to 3 times the water in the bag. Drop one end of the tubing from the gang valve into the aquarium and the other end in the container with the fish. Very slightly open the gang valve. Start a suction flow from the tank to the container. I just suck on it to get it started. Adjust the valve so there is a slow drip coming from the aquarium to the container. For me it usually takes about 1 hour to fill the container with water from my tank. I then net the fish and put them into the tank.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
For fish, hands-down I recommend invertzfactory.com, which is a sponsor here so you might see one of their banners at the top of this page. They don't do plants though, but I recommend getting your plants from other members, here on the swap-n-shop.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to fish-aholic
invertzfactory & SnS
'nuff said

Ehfipimp #277

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
+1 for aquabotanic.com and invertzfactory.com-ordered with both and have very good experience.

Ckeck out my photography&travel blog

And "Like Us" on Facebook

Thanks

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
franksaquarium.com for fish. Quality animals and a bit more variety.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Algae Grower

My Cryptocoryne 'blassii' were waiting for me when I got home Friday! They arrived safely and I am impressed. If I cannot find what I want around town, I am definitely going to order from Robert at Aquabotanic.com again! No more settling for something I can find rather than something I really want!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode