Is my 36g bowfront overstocked? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is my 36g bowfront overstocked?

Getting fish is an addiction as im sure you are all aware. My tank is running beautifully, but i am just curious on your opinions of whether my tank is badly overstocked or not.

Granted i do not follow the inch per gallon rule because i am relatively experienced in the hobby, this tank is fairly heavily planted, quite over filtered and i am strict with my weekly water changes. All of my fish get along and my water perams stay perfect. I am still curious on other hobbyists opinions.

36g bow
Ehiem 2217
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-<20
Ph-7.0

1x opalline gourami
1x bushynose pleco (still a baby)
2x german blue rams
6x julli corys
7x harlequin rasboras
7x rummynose tetras
7x cherry barbs
2x amano shrimp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	516889  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

Not gonna comment on stock, but that is a really nice tank!

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well thanks!

I have done mostly reefs for a long time now and I figured id give a planted tank a shot so this is my first time and im enjoying it a lot im just so used to minimal stocking in a reef that i feel i am going a little overboard in this tank

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 02:12 AM
bk.
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Check out this website. I've found it to be helpful. And I'll second that you have a nice looking tank!

http://aqadvisor.com/
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 02:22 AM
Algae Grower

Beautiful Tank!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

According to aquadvisor i am 126% stocked, so im assuming that isnt too bad considering plant density, filtration and proper maintenance
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Most will say you are already overstocked, especially once the fish get to max size. Plecos giving off a lot more bioload than other fish (poop machines).

BUT, I always overstock (fish guy myself, not enough room for more tanks) my tanks (pretty heavily as a matter of fact), and I never have any problems in my tanks (not cramped, no aggression, no out-of-ordinary territorial disputes, no polluted water, no health problems/disease). And my fish are perfectly happy, no signs of stress and even have fish spawning in the tank regularly without doing anything special to trigger this. But I do overfilter quite a lot with plenty of biomedia to more than handle the bioloads. And I can and have gone weeks, even a month (I could go longer if I wanted to) between water changes and all water params have checked out fine and fish just as healthy.

Just my personal experience. And from my experience and with your aforementioned plant density, overfiltration and proper maintenance, I would say you are fine adding more fish to the tank. Again, most will say you are overstocked as is, but I know it's more than do able.

Although one caution that must be noted, is that since the tank is overstocked it is more easy for things to go haywire faster, for instance in a power outage or say a filter dies, since the bioload is high and livestock amount using up oxygen as well, things can go bad faster than having the same tank with less amount of fish. It still can be safely done though if you do realize this and have back up plans or are prepared for the worst.

What are your plans for additions?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the informative answer, just what i wanted to hear haha. Everything looks to be thriving, and i have yet to have any issues. I appreciate multiple views though, it all helps me to better understand Im not too sure if im going to even add anything else. Maybe just increase the harlequin and rummynose schools.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

No problem.
How does your Opaline Gourami fare with your Rams?
I have rams and wanted to add a powder blue and a honey gourami Gouramis, but have heard some mention they may fight, Rams vs Gouramis.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My gourami picked on the rams for a couple days, only chased them around when they got close but now they dont even register on its radar. The rams are turning into some spunky little bastards now. I love em
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
YOU would be fine adding more fish. You could safely double the size of your schools of rasbora and rummies.

The inch per gallon rule is for noobs with colored gravel and carbon in their filters (I'm kidding! sorry newbies- I was once like you, it IS a solid starting point, but way way too simple. The very idea that a 6" pleco puts the same bioload on a tank as 6 1" neons is preposterous)

The inch per gallon rule can be increased for every water change per month after the first *that gets done EVERY MONTH, every ten years in the hobby, and for having the tank planted.

The plural of anecdote is not data
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The 36 bowfront- I would prefer to see more schooling fish but fewer species. Larger groups of schooling fish behave differently than small groups. Pick just Harleys or Rummynose, and get more of them.

Quote:
wanted to add a powder blue and a honey gourami Gouramis
Not both in one tank- do not combine Anabantoids.
Whether they will fight with Rams or not varies.

Most Gouramis do not bother fish that swim lower in the tank. Some of the more aggressive species may chase all the fish no matter where they swim. I had an Opaline (Color morph of the 3 spot) try to claim all of a 125 gallon tank. I have heard of a Dwarf Gourami so aggressive toward other fish he needed to be kept in a separate tank. Usually Honey Gouramis are more peaceful, but the males are still territorial.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

while aqadvisor says your overstocked its not that bad. keep up with your maintenance and your fine.

with that said I ran my 75g at 160% stocked for over a year. i am now down to what i feel is around 85-90% stock with only 3 species of fish.
-40 cherry barbs
-14 corys
-12 otos

I must say, while it was hard to cut back my stock and only stick with 3 species, you get a different behavior from your fish. the way they feed, the way they move in the tank, different sub groups within the main group, you can really observe their behaviors in what i feel is a more natural way.

so for my i am sided more with the group that have less species and not as heavily stocked.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
-40 cherry barbs
-14 corys
-12 otos

Woah, that's a lot of cherry barbs! Happen to have a video of them all together? Would be a sight to see.

My cherry barbs are one of my least favorite fish haha. I have albino ones and veil tail regular red ones. Look great especially in breeding coloration (really like the orange-red glow of the albinos), but just I have a pet-peeve for fish that pick on each other (I just don't like seeing fish take jabs at each other, in my mind I am thinking that can't be peaceful/enjoyable, but they don't injure each other and I am sure they are fine with it since it's their natural behavior). But I know I am just too critical on the fighting thing as they really aren't all that mean to each other.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I can try and get a video of them all to post.

But my barbs never pick on each other, the males display to each other but that's it.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode