LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do I need Co2 now?

Here is my setup...

40gal breeder
regular black gravel from petco
JBJ 2x 96watt PC Lighting 6700k / 10000k (I only run the 6700k bulb)
Emperor 400 HOB filter
Fluval 303

few stemplants
few anubias
amazon sword
few onion bulbs plants

before i was two t5 bulbs = 78 watt / 1.95wpg and it seem like my plants were pretty much surviving and not really growing much at all, eventually browning out... so i thought i might need a little more light, so i got the 2x jbj pc fixture but like i said i only run one bulb for 96w / 2.4wpg now i also do a daily dose of flourish excel.. but thats about it... but only prob i notice (been about a week since i got my new light) now is i see a lot of algae growth...

should i go with co2 now to help with the algae or is there a better alternative?

or should i go back to my t5's setup and buy co2 and fert? sorry i'm still very new to planted tanks!

---

i'm also thinking of redoing my substrate, is it possible to just remove my old gravel and put the new substrate (flourite or something similar) without having to cycle the tank over since i do have fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Welcome to the TPT forums! Sounds like you don't have enough growing plants to out compete the algae. Try adding some ferts to give your plants a boost. What type of algae are you having? As long as you keep the cycled media in your filter your tank should be fine changing out the substrate.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
The best way to out compete the algae is to get more plants. Like said they will absorb the fuel the algae needs to grow.

Dosing dry ferts and C02 would also help out with that amount of light. Try to get more plants and see how that helps. Also how long is the light on for? I had this same problem, lowered my times down to 8 hours a day and alage vanished.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks, i've been lurking around for awhile now i finally signed up.

its just like green algae on the gravel and rocks but it scrapes off really easily i dunno which kind it is.

as for the lights its already on for 8hours a day.

what dry fert do you guys recommend?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 11:07 PM

CO2 would be the best option, but Excel can also work as a carbon souce.

For the dry fertilizers, you will need at the very least: potassium nitrate, potassium dihydrogen phosphate and a good trace mix. Depending on your water chemistry, you may need calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate and potassium sulfate.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
CO2 can never hurt so if you have the budget for it go for it. Even with your previous light set-up it will still benefit.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Here is something you can do...... make a DIY CO2, say about two 2 liter bottle worth and see what happens.......... cheap to build and easy to maintain
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:19 AM

A 40g tank would be borderline for DIY CO2. I'd say anything larger than 30g would be a hassle.

However, it definitely is cheap to build; maybe not cheap to maintain

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the input guys, ill prob do a diy co2 and see how it goes.

what do you mean its not cheap to maintain? it doesn't seem to bad unless i'm missing something?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 04:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaualain View Post
thanks for the input guys, ill prob do a diy co2 and see how it goes.

what do you mean its not cheap to maintain? it doesn't seem to bad unless i'm missing something?
Cool

For the 40 gallon tank..... I really recommend that you build 2 DIY 2 liter bottles......... Make sure to connect them to one line with a water seal.

Good luck
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
The main problem is the hassle of changing a bottle every week. You will want to stagger the two bottles so that you are changing one bottle each week to maintain a steady production of CO2.

The expense comes with the time spent trying to make new batches of the DIY CO2 every week, and in addition, the 2 cups of sugar per bottle (you will be using ~8 cups of a sugar a month, which is quite a bit!)

Anthony

and

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engold View Post
Cool

For the 40 gallon tank..... I really recommend that you build 2 DIY 2 liter bottles......... Make sure to connect them to one line with a water seal.

Good luck
yea i'll prob do that thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
The main problem is the hassle of changing a bottle every week. You will want to stagger the two bottles so that you are changing one bottle each week to maintain a steady production of CO2.

The expense comes with the time spent trying to make new batches of the DIY CO2 every week, and in addition, the 2 cups of sugar per bottle (you will be using ~8 cups of a sugar a month, which is quite a bit!)
well this is just to see how co2 will help me, never done it before, and i wanna see before i purchase pressurize co2.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
well this is just to see how co2 will help me, never done it before, and i wanna see before i purchase pressurize co2.
Once you decide to jump into pressurized, you will never want to go back to DIY CO2

Anthony

and

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yea hahaha but i'll do two co2 bottles diy tomorrow and see how that works

thanks guy
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Algae Grower

I suggest you compare your algae to the pictures here.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_...ater_algae.php

If it is blue green algae, I suggest you get rid of it first. What worked for me was a three day total blackout, cover the tank with a dark blanket and no peaking. The fish should be fine.

I hope I'm wrong but it happened to me when I upgraded my lighting without CO2. BGA is nasty stuff, while you can wipe it off easily it grows back quickly.

I hope you don't have it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode