What Size Tank is this? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
What Size Tank is this?

I've messaged them but any ideas on the size of this tank? I probably can't get it but I can sure envision it planted! Or a cichlid tank!

Says it's 50" long. It's on Craigslist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't find 50" long very often. If you get the full Wide,deep and high measurements, there are online conversion lists to find the gallon size?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ya, I guess I need to be patient, lol! I want it so bad for a cichlid tank. We have some pretty ones at work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

From the picture, I might quess it is 481/2 rather than 50. It does look somewhat taller than some so possible 60 Gallon Marineland at 481/2X13 X 24 tall???

I could see a nice group of cichlids, especially angelfish if they suit your fancy but lots of types as the tall is not a problem to the fish. Tall plants to go with them , maybe? Or maybe room for some much taller wood?
Lots of options!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yeah, that looks an awful lot like the Marineland 60 gallon heartland ensemble.. It is definitely the same stand and hood.

Conveniently, the stand does measure 50" wide, so that must be what the craiglister is measuring..

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquariu...6-catid-300065

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 10:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cant say at all by looking at the photo ( it does appear to be a rather tall tank though). But if you can measure it, multiple length x width x height and divide by 231 and then you'll know the size of the tank in gallons.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 11:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post

I've messaged them but any ideas on the size of this tank? I probably can't get it but I can sure envision it planted! Or a cichlid tank!

Says it's 50" long. It's on Craigslist
Hi schnebbles,

They said it set-up is about 50" long; not 50 gallons. That looks like a 90 gallon which is the same length as a 75 gallon but about 25.5" tall with 2X24" light fixtures on top.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Cool thanks! She is going to get me the measurements. Not sure if my husband will go for it but he wanted cichlids so this would be a non planted tank.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 12:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah, I'm betting a 90. Bet they measured the stand width.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
Yeah, that looks an awful lot like the Marineland 60 gallon heartland ensemble.. It is definitely the same stand and hood.

Conveniently, the stand does measure 50" wide, so that must be what the craiglister is measuring..

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquariu...6-catid-300065
It does, doesn't it? The stand is about 14" deep I think. I have one with a couple of 10s sitting on it. What - I needed a double stand and that was as close as I could find. Besides, it was marked down quite a bit due to ah...a lack of a matching tank plus a damaged corner.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I think it's the Marineland 60. She said 48 x 12 x 25 and that's close to a 60gl when I looked online.

Now to talk to my husband, lol! Our house really needs to be bigger!

So I see that sells for $350 at Petsmart - they are asking $300 - what would you think? She said they haven't had it long. Plus they paid tax

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah that is definitely the Marineland 60 gallon. If that's the tank you like, unless you are really set on buying it for that price, I would wait. Petsmart has it on sale all the time for even cheaper than that.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 09:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I personally would pass based on the dimensions if you are planning on making it a planted tank. Since it's taller it's harder to achieve high lighting at substrate and people always complain about that height getting their armpits wet when reaching inside the tank to the bottom, plus it being taller, it can be harder to even get your arm into it, might need a step stool depending on your height and stand height.

Still depends. If you like it enough. In my area I've seen better deals, whether for bigger or smaller (haven't seen 60gal before, but plenty of 55 gallons fully equipped)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
I personally would pass based on the dimensions if you are planning on making it a planted tank.
They already specified this would be non-planted...

Quote:
Not sure if my husband will go for it but he wanted cichlids so this would be a non planted tank.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 02:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
I think it's the Marineland 60. She said 48 x 12 x 25 and that's close to a 60gl when I looked online.

Now to talk to my husband, lol! Our house really needs to be bigger!

So I see that sells for $350 at Petsmart - they are asking $300 - what would you think? She said they haven't had it long. Plus they paid tax
48 x 12 x 25 = 14,400 / 231 = 62.33 gallons which for all intents and purposes is a 60 gallon tank.

I'd pass unless they're willing to take less than half of that original offer. For a savings of only $50 you're better off buying it new at the store and could then return it if something were to go wrong (and would also be covered by any manufacturer warranty). And as mentioned by others, the store will likely run a sale with that same item (new of course) for even less than they want used. Not to mention its barely any bigger than a 55 gallon tank which you could get for $55 during the $1/gallon sale.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode