Help me choose between gla atomic inline diffuser and 80mm atomic+ in tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
So I want to buy one of these products to try to compare to my cerges reactor and see what kind of results I get.

I am torn as to which one would be better for my setup. The reason I am hesitant to go with the inline is because I use my eheim pro 2075 spray bar to create surface agitation. If I have tiny bubbles going out the spray barb while its putting a good ripple in the surface of the water, won't I be off gassing a ton of co2?

Which is why I starting looking at the in tank option. I can use my 2 koralia nano 425 power heads to keep the micro bubbles in the water longer before reaching the surface and off gassing.

Clearly I will and currently do off gas a fair bit of co2 but its important to me that I provide enough o2 for my fish.

Any help is appreciated!

If more information is required just ask and I can provide it.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-11-2015 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is the Cerges not working out for you?

Btw - I like the idea of using the circulation pumps to spread the bubbles. I wonder if you could hide the diffuser under the pump to protect it from the light and reduce algae growth on the disc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think the cerges is doing fine but I just would like to experiment with other methods and see how things go. Plus I have a huge cerges and it would be nice to created some more cabinet space.

I could easily hide the in tank diffuser under one of the power heads in a darker corner of the tank. Its a crypt tank with some phoenix moss and nothing else. I use frogbit and duckweed to keep light levels where I want, so I am not running very high light. A lower medium light probably 30-40 par

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Those GLA diffusers are over-priced. You can get ADA-like glass diffusers at aquainspiration (Markham) for around 45 CAD.

That said, the inline or in-tank diffusers are inefficient comparing to the cerges reactor. I put a glass diffuser under my powerhead...you can try it.

You can get UP aqua diffusers ceramic diffusers on on ebay for like $2...

Also regarding your question, in-tank vs in-line. I don't have experience with in-line diffusers but I've read they're hard to clean. Also if you're using the spray bar, assuming it's at the surface of the tank, then those bubbles coming from the inline would escape the tank quite fast.....You want dwell time...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah so the inline option is not the way to go because my spray bar is right at the surface and provides a good amount of surface agitation.

From all the reading I have done it appears that there is pros to having micro bubbles floating around and attaching to plant leaves as they can absorb the co2 better through this method.

I work in Scarborough and never been or heard of that place... I will have to check it out. I always feel you get what you pay for, with that said I dont mind spending a bit of money to get a solid product.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You never heard of aquainspiration? http://www.aquainspiration.com/nproducts.asp

In terms of getting what you pay for, it applies sometimes. The brand they sell is VIV aqua. It's very good.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the info

I think I will pop in after work

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-11-2015 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode