Labor Day wknd + no CO2 solenoid = ??? need some help here - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Labor Day wknd + no CO2 solenoid = ??? need some help here

Alright guys, here's my dilemma: I'm planning to go out of town for 3 days/2 nights this weekend since we all know, it's Labor day weekend . I've done it in the past with leaving everything off except the filter (pretty much a blackout period to kill algae hehe). That didn't turn out too well for my 10g which had more demanding plants such as HC and Limno Guinea 'broadleaf'. They all died pretty much.

I don't want to risk it again so I now have a light timer that's set to 8hrs of light. Here are my options that I came up with: Let me know which option you guys think would be the best for what I have:

1. Leave CO2 on 24/7 with lights on 8hr timer
2. Leave CO2 off with lights on 8hr timer
3. Leave everything OFF for the entire 3 days to kill some thread algae

Please share your opinions/expertise. I know, I really need to get me a solenoid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
I think the best option is #2 i . I would not take the chance of killing all of your fish by giving them more co2 than they can handle by leaving the co2 on the whole time. Your plants will be ok without co2 for a couple days. If #3 did work the first time then i would not try it again and push your luck, but i dont see why your plants would not be ok without lights for 3 days... I have done it to mine several times back when i was fighting algae and i had some harder to grow plants.

Texas A&M-Commerce Track & Field
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
gah, a solenoid would solve your problem. CO2 & lights on the timer.

yeah, #2 is the way to go.. you might want to do 5-7 hours of light. Nothing will grow. But nothing will die as well. If you have Excel, throw some in before you leave, couldn't hurt.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1604 View Post
I think the best option is #2 i . I would not take the chance of killing all of your fish by giving them more co2 than they can handle by leaving the co2 on the whole time. Your plants will be ok without co2 for a couple days. If #3 did work the first time then i would not try it again and push your luck, but i dont see why your plants would not be ok without lights for 3 days... I have done it to mine several times back when i was fighting algae and i had some harder to grow plants.
Yeah... Option 2 seems decent, but what about algae? That would mean algae would have a nice 3 day growout time to show it's ugly head, since there's no CO2 to keep it dormant.

Option 3 is what I'm leaning towards the most. I just found it hard to believe my last vacation (4days), my 10g crashed with this option.

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post

yeah, #2 is the way to go.. you might want to do 5-7 hours of light. Nothing will grow. But nothing will die as well. If you have Excel, throw some in before you leave, couldn't hurt.
Good point mg.

This could be a good option to consider. Thank you sir!

I'm still working my wallet to grow big enough to get me a solenoid. Too bad it doesn't grow as fast as my plants.

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Why wouldn't you run co2 at 1 or 2 bubbles a second 24/7? I run co2 24/7 at 3 bbps in a 46 gallon, done so for at least 2 years, never lost a fish, never have seen them gasp either. I have surface rippling enough to break up surface scum. My drop checker is yellow green. I've gone on 10 day vacations without losing any fish. I would try the 24/7 routine a few days before you go, so you feel comfortable with it though.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
Why wouldn't you run co2 at 1 or 2 bubbles a second 24/7? I run co2 24/7 at 3 bbps in a 46 gallon, done so for at least 2 years, never lost a fish, never have seen them gasp either. I have surface rippling enough to break up surface scum. My drop checker is yellow green. I've gone on 10 day vacations without losing any fish. I would try the 24/7 routine a few days before you go, so you feel comfortable with it though.
That's a good option as well. I'll try it out today.

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (81/100%)
I do not have a solenoid switch on my tanks eversince and my c02 is on 24/7 with no problems. Just try to lower it down a mere minimum. I go on vacation for a week with no problems. You should be alright.

BO - EHEIM PIMP # 378
-

Aim High
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Another option:

Option #1 and get an air stone on a timer which runs during the night.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I agree with this. A decent solenoid is only ~$20, so it shouldn't be too hard on your wallet.

As for your options, as hbosman and 4f1hmi suggested, the best way to go is to just crank your CO2 down to minimal levels and having it on 24/7 while leaving your lights as they are.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I agree with this. A decent solenoid is only ~$20, so it shouldn't be too hard on your wallet.

As for your options, as hbosman and 4f1hmi suggested, the best way to go is to just crank your CO2 down to minimal levels and having it on 24/7 while leaving your lights as they are.
Thanks guys, all good suggestions.

Where can I find a decent solenoid for 20 bucks? Do tell. I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

|
|
|
|
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 01:56 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Thanks guys, all good suggestions.

Where can I find a decent solenoid for 20 bucks? Do tell. I'll buy it in a heartbeat.
Solenoid (You will need to purchase a grounded power cord separately)
1/8" FPT: Part # MME-2PDS-D110 - $19.70 ea.
http://www.clippard.com/store/displa...=MME-2PDS-D110

I'm pretty close.

You can probably get the Clippard solenoid above from Rex, SuMo or GLA for around $40 including shipping and with the power cord.

Some of the people that bought the Parker solenoids recently may part with one.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:14 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
here's a great thread on clippard parts.. You'll need needle valves and check valves too.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...t-numbers.html

It's probably too late for the labor day weekend but for the future. Shipping and handling is a bit steep and will take a week or so. They're from my home town too (5 miles away from where I live)... But if I don't want the shipping and handling, I'd have to go to their distributor which is 25 miles away.

ps. the clippard solenoid gets a bit hot.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 03:29 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Here is an even better deal than Left C posted

eBay item number: 300343760219

It is the Parker solenoid that Left C was talking about. Several users including myself use this solenoid. I believe one person had a problem, but after negotiating with the seller, he was willing to replace the solenoid.

The Parker solenoid doesn't come with a power cord, but you can easily find one from some spare electronic that you don't need (I used an old hair dryer cord). You also need some connectors (of which the name escapes me at this time), but a picture is worth a thousand words (credit goes to krtismo for the pictures)

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...tml#post797597

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

So basically It'll cost me around $100 for everything shipped?

I know Rex is still alive but no longer active on this forum so that being said, can I just buy the already put together Clippard w/ power cord from Rex and use my current needle valve that came with my M3 regulator?

This is how my regulator & needle valve looks:

Or do I have to buy a whole new regulator and parts to obtain the solenoid function?

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode