First planted tank... help greatly appreciated - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First planted tank... help greatly appreciated

Sorry in advance for the double post... but i thought this might go better in here than the lighting specific forum.

Hi, this is my first post here... mainly because this is my first attempt at a "planted tank"

After having my 35L tank running for a while with the usual fake plants/ornaments/standard pebble substrate... I've decided to plant it properly.

I've just put in new substrate (plant nutrient base and fine gravel on top) and added some plants (dont ask me what they are).

on top of this i have been recommended a CO2 unit too, a Tetra CO2-Depot... its had mixed reviews but seems good enough for my small set up.

Basically i need to know if the 11w Arc Pod that came with my tank is powerful enough for decent growth?

From what i can find, you cant get more powerful bulbs for them... and was thinking about just adding a second 11w Arc Pod to give it a little boost.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

ps. How do you stop the smaller plants (at the front of my tank) from uprooting and floating too the top of the tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
It looks like most of your plants can handle the light that you already have. I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like you may have some HC in the foreground. With your tank being so shallow, the HC may grow for you. My advice would be to wait it out, maybe a month, and monitor your plants. Most of your plants are slow growers and will probably be fine with your current lighting.
As far as your plants floating, use some plant weights to hold them down. I usually get some every time I buy some plants from my LFS, or ask if they have a couple laying around that you can have.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The plant in the left corner is probably Asian Ambulia,(L. sessiliflora) IME it is really easy to grow. I had it in 1 WPG in a 27 inch deep tank. So, I'd say it will grow for you.

The other kinds of ambulia look fluffy almost.

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:15 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
That Tetra CO2-Depot you are looking at might not be the best method for CO2. It appears to simply work by injecting pressurized CO2 in a spray-type can into a passive bell diffuser. Trying to attach it to a (regular) diffuser would not work either.

I would look into DIY CO2 or even pressurized, if you can afford it.

The HC in the front of the tank may be hit or miss for you, as cah925 mentioned. Your tank is quite shallow, but HC does require more light than you currently have.

Finally, as for the HC floating to the top of your tank, there is really no way around this (unless you use a dry start method, and then wait for the root system to develop). Since you already have fish, the dry start method isn't possible. All you can do is use a pair of sharp tweezers and replant any of the HC that floats up to the surface.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responces guys, I think I'll add the second 11w arc pod.
Are there any pros/cons in doing so?

Also, any better ideas than the HC for getting that "blanket" effect I was trying to achieve?... Something that will root better in my tank?
Cheers.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
The only con to adding more light is algae. If you don't have a consistent steady supply of CO2, it can backfire on you. You could use the second light as a noon burst instead of leaving it on all day.

Marselia is another idea for a carpet. It's similar to glosso, not sure if that's the look you want though. I just planted some in my 125 about 2 weeks ago. It was showing signs of rooting after just a few days.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode