CL's "The evolution of an aquascape" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Arrow CL's "The evolution of an aquascape"

I figured I'd share the process I went through when rescaping my mini m.
First, I tested out my scaping materials by kinda throwing them together

Then I refined the scape in the tank

after doing that, I realized that I wanted something different. I had some rocks laying around (this picture is almost a year old, I lost one of the rocks)

I put them in the tank

Then I looked at the individual rocks to see if anything looked wrong, and I asked forum members what they thought. I fixed one of the rocks, and it looked better

Then I thought for a while what plants would go best with the scape. I took some extra plants that I had and planted it. (I still need more plants [for the foreground and to fill in a couple of spaces], and the bolbitis needs to grow a bit.)

LMK what you guys think

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Not bad C

Looking at it a bit longer, I find the large rock in front a bit overwhelming for this tank. It makes the tank look small (which might be your intention). Also, I can't help it... to me it looks like some alien dragonfly head.

Once the foreground is scaped, it might all fall into place. Might wanna run a brush through your lily pipes too...

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Not bad C

Looking at it a bit longer, I find the large rock in front a bit overwhelming for this tank. It makes the tank look small (which might be your intention). Also, I can't help it... to me it looks like some alien dragonfly head.

Once the foreground is scaped, it might all fall into place. Might wanna run a brush through your lily pipes too...
Thanks!
Yeah, I know that the front rock is really bold. It big and close to the glass, but it's just what I had to work with. Hopefully the eleocharis will soften it up a bit, covering the bottom inch of the rock. Right now it kinda seems like a cliff of sorts.

I didn't know there were such things as alien dragon flies , unless of course you are talking about Zorak from Space Ghost Coast to Coast, but he is a preying mantis of course. Old childhood memories lol.

lol.

Yeah I need to clean the pipes. I have never cleaned them once (got them in march) lol. I'll have to get around to that sometime.

Thanks for the comments!

-Chris

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
once that fills in and you get some ground cover in front it'll look awesome.

what is the plant that you have in between the rocks? i cant make it out on my screen
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
once that fills in and you get some ground cover in front it'll look awesome.

what is the plant that you have in between the rocks? i cant make it out on my screen
Thanks! I hope it will! That plant is anubias nana 'petite'

-Chris

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
looks bigger than my nana petite. must just be because of the size of the tank

would be cool if you could get something to grow that would scale the rock from the substrate down in front all the way to the tip of the rocks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
looks bigger than my nana petite. must just be because of the size of the tank

would be cool if you could get something to grow that would scale the rock from the substrate down in front all the way to the tip of the rocks.
Just wait to see what I'm going to do with the petite when I get some more of it

-Chris

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:34 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Where are you getting your petites? I'm thinking about getting a bunch too.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Where are you getting your petites? I'm thinking about getting a bunch too.
I have collected what I had over the past 18 months from people like Bert H., neonshrimp and zapins (over at APC) I'll be getting some more either from epicfish or momotaro (depending on when he's going to trim his)

-Chris

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Those rock-scapes you made look great!

I think they looked a bit better before plants were added around them, but once they fill in... It will be better than never ever before.

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I like the rock in the front with the gashes on each side. This reminds me of an anubias / rock scape you had at one point in your 30-C maybe. It was a slope on the right side as well if I recall. I only remember because it was awesome, and I happened to mention it to Coltonorr today.

Have you considered still using some of the wood coming out from behind the rocks?

What kind of substrate is that? I would consider leaving some of the substrate showing after you add your foreground. I really think the color looks natural with the rocks.

Sweet start!

"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Maybe you could do something like this guy did with his 30C

"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks FF! I actually mailed all of the wood out today. I really like the way the scape looks. I also think that the river sand looks really good with the rocks.

I am actually thinking about replacing the bolbitis with lawnmarsh pennywort. It would look great IMO, but I'll wait to see what the bolbitis does first.

I hope that guy doesn't mind that my scape looks kinda similar

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode