Treating for Columnaris - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Treating for Columnaris

hi guys!

have you treated your fish with columnaris inside your planted tanks? what medicine did you use and is it safe for plants?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Columnaris can be treated if you catch it early. There are several strains. One of them can kill the fish within 24 hours.

Most antibiotics are safe for plants.

Columnaris is Gram negative, and Nitrifying bacteria are Gram positive and protected in a bio film, so the medicine usually does not affect the beneficial bacteria.

Some meds may affect snails or shrimp.

If you can feed the medication to the fish, this is probably the best way to treat.
Kanamycin is one medicine that is useful against Columnaris.

Other things that will help:
Columnaris is more active in tropical tanks with a temperature over 76*F. If the fish are OK with a lower temperature, then lower it a degree or so per day until it is 74-75*F.
Columnaris seems more active when there is more nitrate in the water. Do enough water changes to keep the NO3 low. Vacuum the floor of the tank and clean the filter.

If you are treating with a medicated food, you might consider adding a UV sterilizer.

Remove sick fish before they die. When they die the disease spreads from the dead fish.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...hp#Antibiotics
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Columnaris can be treated if you catch it early. There are several strains. One of them can kill the fish within 24 hours.

Most antibiotics are safe for plants.

Columnaris is Gram negative, and Nitrifying bacteria are Gram positive and protected in a bio film, so the medicine usually does not affect the beneficial bacteria.

Some meds may affect snails or shrimp.

If you can feed the medication to the fish, this is probably the best way to treat.
Kanamycin is one medicine that is useful against Columnaris.

Other things that will help:
Columnaris is more active in tropical tanks with a temperature over 76*F. If the fish are OK with a lower temperature, then lower it a degree or so per day until it is 74-75*F.
Columnaris seems more active when there is more nitrate in the water. Do enough water changes to keep the NO3 low. Vacuum the floor of the tank and clean the filter.

If you are treating with a medicated food, you might consider adding a UV sterilizer.

Remove sick fish before they die. When they die the disease spreads from the dead fish.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...hp#Antibiotics
I dont think i can catch the fish, the tank is heavily planted, is there medicine i can buy at petsmart or petco?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I'm dealing with this as well. The recommended treatments are furan 2 along with kanaplex. I got both. Diana told me earlier today to get a hospital tank for the sick ones and get a UV sterilizer - trying to find the best one for me right now.

I also have shrimp and snails and don't want to treat the entire tank since I'm not sure if these meds are safe. I'm getting headaches thinking about all of it!

I know you can feed the kanaplex in food, I'll look more into this. Going to follow this for sure!

good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You will have to read the labels on the medicines available in your local stores.
Read the active ingredients, not just the front of the cover of the package. Some fish diseases are mistaken for a fungus issue, so the medicine cover might be labeled for fungus, but actually is an antibiotic. You are looking for an antibiotic.
Read the link above, and get one of the listed antibiotics.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Can't sleep thinking about this also, maybe I can install s uv sterilizer but catching the sick is a little impossible my tank is heavily planted the only way to catch the sick is by removing all the plants. I don't have shrimp only snails.

My 2 concerns are:
Is kanaplex and furan 2 safe for plants ?
The fish that are not affected they will be expose to the medication as well, will that be okay?
:-(
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

kanaplex is, I just looked it up. Not sure about the furan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
kanaplex is, I just looked it up. Not sure about the furan.
Thanks! And to you Diana :-)

I'll look for those two meds at my LFS and get one of this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DZVQAA0/ref=mp_s_a_1_31?qid=1441650191&sr=8-31&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=aquarium+uv+light&dpPl=1&dpID=31WvttmtYiL&ref=plSrch
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Fish that have been exposed to diseases can be infected, and just not showing the symptoms yet. It is good to treat them, too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't know 100% that I have the columnaris but I've been using Paraguard and my serpae who had a big fluffy patch of white on his flapper fin is looking much better. I put one dose of kanaplex in and need to do a wc today before I add more. But now I'm seeing a little bit on my celebes mouth.

This is bumming me out. Between trying to treat the whole tank, making sure I don't kill my plants and shrimp/snails, it's really tough.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode