Bio media poll - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bio media poll

What's better Fluval or Seachem biomedia?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
By fluval, i assume you mean the ceramic bio rings. If so, seachem matrix is a whole lot bettter (loads more surface area to colonize more beneficial bacteria and practically doesnt degrade like ceramic will do eventually, mute point, but still)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
+1 on seachem matrix. I bought a bucket of it for my 100g tank.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Matrix
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Matrix . Easy to handle and works great.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Hope this helps?
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...938&highlight=

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 01:55 AM
Algae Grower

Matrix is the only biological media that should ever be used.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzarren View Post
Matrix is the only biological media that should ever be used.
Hah, I wouldn't go that far at all. I use mainly Matrix as I it is more easily available and good price for the stated surface area it is supposed to have vs competitors. I actually think Matrix's aerobic surface area significantly lessens as the pores can clog easily (so can others, but the point still remains) and in tests I have seen, Matrix doesn't absorb or allow water to easily flow through it, which in theory would mean it would clog easier and more likely stay clogged, where as the other media that can absorb faster/allow more flow through it can possibly flush out clogs. Matrix clogging can create anaerobic bacteria in the center I suppose which is a plus (actually why I use Pond Matrix in my high flow canister filters).

But there are other great biomedia's like Eheim Substratpro, MarinePure Ceramic (expensive though) and Pond Guru's Biohome Ultimate.

Moving bed/fluidized filters (K1 Kaldness and various others are the biomedia) are supposed to be one of the best for dealing with ammonia and nitrite (no denitrifying bacteria though).

And sponge filters do have their place.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'd say any decent bio-media is going to work just fine.

A few notes on the other posts -

You are never going to see any vendor say that another vendor's media is superior in any way. In other words, you can't really believe any of them.

You will almost always see a hobbyist recommend the media they are using, either because it's "better" or it has a much lower cost.

The bottom line is get one of the decent bio-medias, use it in your filtration system, and get back to taking care of your tank(s).
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks all! I'm sort of surprised to see a consensus for Matrix over Fluval Bio rings and I'm glad I went with Matrix as the bio of choice for my secondary HOB filter (this post was an after purchase post) I think the next canister cleaning I might begin to slowly transition from the Fluval Bio that is in there now to Matrix.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

In a planted tank the difference in bio media is more of an opinion than a fact.
The plants themselves are so much of the bio filters, that the small bacteria population that is needed will grow all over the tank, on the driftwood, rocks, substrate and all the filter media (sponges, floss...) so that it is not so important if you have 'the best' ceramic noodles, or lava rock, or any other bio media.

The most efficient bio media is much more important in a non-planted tank, where the bacteria provide so much more ammonia removal. In such a set up you will indeed be concerned that the media have the right pore size for optimum bacteria growth, and water flow to keep the media clean, and bring the ammonia and oxygen to the bacteria. In this set up, then the test results of the manufacturers or independent labs (if any) may have some value.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode