Oscar friendly plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Oscar friendly plants?

Ok, soooo as much as I like keeping angels and other smaller cool funny fish (my panda coreys, fw gobey, hillstream sucker loach) I have this overwelming urge to replace the fish with somthing I can feed the local strays and small children to but I reaaaaly love the look of my plants so im going to have to keep my 75 a planted but I think I might get a pair of oscars after I pick up a new tank off craigs list so my question is are their any plants that are really safe around Oscars? Anubis maby? or a nice healthy wad of pennywart floating around? suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
my experience with oscars is that if they don't like something in their tank they remove it. my oscar would take most of the gravel for one side of the tank and move it to the other while he was fighting with his reflection in the side of the tank. i dont think anything is safe.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Algae Grower

It is hit and miss. I know its been done. I would start with Anubis, Java Fern, and Java Moss attached to driftwood. Another option are fast growing plants like Water Sprite. Swords with large roots may be alright. Floating plants are also an option.

I think the trick is to keep the Oscar from getting bored. I would get a school of dither fish like Giant Danios, Red-eyed Tetras, or Rainbows and start with a young Oscar. They may keep him busy enough to not tear up the tank too bad.

Cichlids love to rescape their tanks almost as much as Takashi Amano does- but their work is no where near as pretty.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 06:26 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm keeping eartheaters and pike cichlids in a planted tank, but with something like an oscar your chance of success is a lot lower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
and dither fish will be dinner....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post

I think the trick is to keep the Oscar from getting bored. I would get a school of dither fish like Giant Danios, Red-eyed Tetras, or Rainbows and start with a young Oscar. They may keep him busy enough to not tear up the tank too bad.

Cichlids love to rescape their tanks almost as much as Takashi Amano does- but their work is no where near as pretty.

VICTOR PIMP #45: HPT270B-250
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 07:16 PM

lol,funny conversation
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
ive never even seen an oscar friendly rock they move/root up everything
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 03:14 AM
Algae Grower

My old oscars would tolerate nothing in the tank. My friend has a 15" oscar that takes anything in the tank and bashes it against the sides of the aquarium. He had a little castle in there and as soon as the oscar could move it, it was being knocked into the glass. Even the gravel isnt unharmed. The fish takes chunks of gravel in its mouth and spits it at the glass. Dunno if the fish likes the sound or what but absolutely nothing in the tank is safe. Just for grins we put a couple plastic plants in there so he could show me how the fish acts and as soon as the buried them the oscar uprooted them and let em float.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 AM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
This reminds me of that saying "Like a bull in a china shop."

I had an oscar when I was a kid, and all I know was that he liked blue gravel on the left side of the tank.

65 gallon journal:

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 04:03 AM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
BTW, why are you set on Oscars? To me, they are the Budweiser of fish. Yes they are nice, and yes, they are average. Why not dempseys or severums?

65 gallon journal:

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Crinum or Vallisneria might work out. The roots on my onion plant cover a huge area, and new leaves come up every few days.

My tinfoil barbs leave it alone, but they didn't leave java fern or moss.

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markstanfill88 View Post
My old oscars would tolerate nothing in the tank. My friend has a 15" oscar that takes anything in the tank and bashes it against the sides of the aquarium. He had a little castle in there and as soon as the oscar could move it, it was being knocked into the glass. Even the gravel isnt unharmed. The fish takes chunks of gravel in its mouth and spits it at the glass. Dunno if the fish likes the sound or what but absolutely nothing in the tank is safe. Just for grins we put a couple plastic plants in there so he could show me how the fish acts and as soon as the buried them the oscar uprooted them and let em float.
my tiger oscar would do that. he could see his reflection in the glass so he would pick up gravel and spit it at his reflection. and then do a little dance. he was either trying to intimidate himself or he just liked watching himself dance. he did have better moves than me...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode