Oxygenating tablets? For use in power outage? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Oxygenating tablets? For use in power outage?

Tom Aquatics Oxygen Stone

First time running across these, but I am intrigued if I was in the even of a power outage. I do have a battery powered air pump on stand by already, but just curious about these. Most likely not going to buy them since another battery powered air pump seems more worth the money (and maybe safer? not a chemist)

I did a little digging and found this thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=823144
they mention some people use OxyClean laundry detergent for the same affect. No clue on the chemistry, so maybe other can enlighten/clarify. I'm just always uneasy with adding anything to a tank, especially chemicals.

Product info says:
These oxygen stones oxygenates your aquarium when loss of electrical power occurs, or when transporting your fish. This small cylinder generates oxygen when immersed in water, enabling you to keep fish alive without the use of an air pump. Works by chemical reaction, oxygenating the water for 1 month. Not effervescent where bubbles are seen, but by a chemical reaction where 2 substances react together and create oxygen. Not reusable after opened. Suitable for both freshwater and marine. Active ingredients: Calcium Hydroxide and Calcium Peroxide. Recommended usage is one cylinder per 10 gallons with normal bio-load.

• Ideal when loss of electrical power occurs, or when transporting your fish
  • Active ingredients: Calcium Hydroxide and Calcium Peroxide
  • These small cylinders generate oxygen when immersed in water
  • Suitable for both freshwater and marine
  • Recommended usage is one cylinder per 10 gallons with normal bio-load
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't place them too high as there are too many other things that will need work if I lose power for an extended time. One way to treat a power outage is to do a water change. Assuming that you will still have running water, the O2 will be fine if you change water. If it is going to be so long that O2 becomes a real big thing, The temp, bacteria in filters, etc. will also need attention so I don't see the pellets as a big help.
Changing water brings in O2, removes pollutants and can also be used to correct the temperature.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yup, yup. That is why I got the back battery powered air pumps that automatically turn on when power goes out. Running 2 large sponge filters and could always put biomedia (matrix) in a pop bottle and run the a airline in it

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You could just remove media from an enclosed filter (like a can) and put it loose in the tank, or enclose it with a mesh bag. If the filter is a HOB, you could scoop up some tank water and pour it in through the top a few times every few hours.

As the tank cools the bacteria slow down, so need less oxygen.
If the fish can handle room temperature water, then allow the tank to cool.
If the fish need it warmer, then wrap the tank in a thick towel, and do what you can to help the bacteria.

If you have the battery powered air running, you can also add a little hydrogen peroxide to the tank. Research the dose, it is pretty small.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
If you have the battery powered air running, you can also add a little hydrogen peroxide to the tank. Research the dose, it is pretty small.
I'm curious, what does the hydrogen peroxide do exactly? I haven't heard anything about H2O2 except for spot treating algae and sterilizing.

Yeah I've heard most of the common tips/tricks to do in events of power outage, was just asking about these oxygenating stones and/or oxiclean being able to increase oxygen, as I haven't heard of them before.

Thanks everyone!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode