Plants sickly, African Dwarf frogs in the tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants sickly, African Dwarf frogs in the tank

Hi. I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 African Dwarf frogs and 4 plants. They were all in the "easy" and "low light" section of the store. I don't know what kind they are, one I think is Anubias, one is a tall grass, one is a short bush thing. One is tall with circular leaves. That one is sickly. The older leaves are yellowing and then become transparent and fall off. The tall grass has transparent patches on it as well. I had another tall grassy plant in that spot and it got yellow & transparent and died. The spot the sickly plants are/were in is next to the filter. The ammonia levels are ok. I don't have a test kit for anything else. I change the water about 30% weekly and vacuum the sand weekly. The tank is 2 months old. I just have sand as the substrate.

Are nutrients the problem? Anyone know if I can use fertilizer with ADFs in the tank? I want to avoid tearing down the tank and putting new substrate, so what fertilizer would be ok for the frogs?
Is it light? There are two fluorescent bulbs in the tank that give off a yellowish light. The plant that is sickly is the furthest away from the window... Should I buy a better light, or would that be too much because these are "low light" plants? And I don't think the frogs want too much light either?
Obviously I am a newbie and doing my best to do everything they told me at the store! My frogs eat bloodworms once a day if that makes a difference. I don't have any algae eaters but it doesn't look like there is much algae. I dose the tank with Stress-Zyme weekly as well.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
Can you post some pictures of the plants and tank? That will help with identifying what they are and what problems they might have.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Any aquarium fertilizers should be fine for frogs. I would stop vacuuming the sand except to gently swirl the vacuum above the surface so the debris is stirred up without actually sucking up any sand. Without seeing your plants it sounds like you have a lack of fertilizer and once you feed them they should start to come around. It may take a couple weeks before you see any improvement at all though.

If you think you are going to continue with keeping plants then it will be cheaper to buy a full selection of ferts from a user on this board called Nilocg. It will cost the same as buying bottles of pre-mixed but will last you 10 times longer and you can adjust the strength of each thing to suit your plants needs.

Your sand will be fine, lots of tanks have nothing but sand and grow nice plants.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

I can't figure out how to post photos from iPad. The one plant is very yellow today. Just like plain fertilizer? Liquid or sticks? I'm worried about the frogs getting into it...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are you using fertilizer tabs for the vals. New tanks are hard. Can you check what kind of bulbs that are in your lights? Some of this can be plant shock from transplanting them. Without knowledge of what plants they are it makes hard to give real answers. How about some photo's.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode