First High Tech tank, any suggestions? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
First High Tech tank, any suggestions?

I have decided to start a planted tank, i am going high tech right from the start. I am dosing PPS-PRO, i have a Finnex Ray 2 in a 55g, i am getting about 50 PAR on the substrate. The substrate is Eco-Complete. I will be injecting CO2 via a rex grigg style reactor. I will post a picture of the tank in a reply to this. What plants would be good for what my setup is?

Bump: I Have about $100 to spend on plants

Last edited by sohankpatel; 09-03-2015 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This sounds really fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 02:59 AM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Which plants depends heavily on what style of tank you want to run. Are you wanting to run a simple zen style iwagumi tank? A nature style tank with mountain scapes, faux trees, or an island type scape? Or are you wanting to do a plant dense dutch style tank with minimal hardscape? Your goal/vision will really determine what kind of plants you should go for

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I want my only hardscape to be a couple pieces of driftwood
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 08:36 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

Staurogyne repens is a very forgiving and excellent looking beginner carpeting plant. I would definitely start there

As far as stem type plants, I really like reds. Ludwigia Arcuata, ludwigia peruensis, Limnophilia aromatica, Alternanthera Reineckii are good choices though some more difficult than others. I've had explosive growth from Limnophilia sessiflora, bacopa Carolina, downoii, and rotala rotundifolia as well for green stem plants. Just some ideas for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
Which plants depends heavily on what style of tank you want to run. Are you wanting to run a simple zen style iwagumi tank? A nature style tank with mountain scapes, faux trees, or an island type scape? Or are you wanting to do a plant dense dutch style tank with minimal hardscape? Your goal/vision will really determine what kind of plants you should go for
Any chance there's a good thread or site with photo examples of each of these types of tanks? I'm apparently going dutch-style with my new setup... would love to see a few examples of this style done well, and to get ideas for future tanks.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:05 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

Honestly. Copy and paste those species in Google and you'll get good representative pics. I hate to pull the google it card because it's annoying when people do that but I'm on my phone and don't have time immediately to look up good build and journal examples of those but I can show you some of my favorite tanks on here that use those plants later on if I have a minute. You can look at my journal in my signature and see my progress with some of those as well. AR is a challenging plant that some people grow amazingly with no effort, but others struggle with despite perfect parameters. I struggle with it. My biggest wish list plant right now is the ludwigia Arcuata

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
You can grow anything with a Ray 2. My suggestion would be to start with the light elevated from water level and slowly work your way down.

If not, you are going to have lots of algae until you get your co2 dialed in just right.

-Mikey G
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 02:52 AM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=731794

This journal has been one of the most educational and inspirational threads for me in this hobby. This thread along with some of tom Barrs journals have pretty much guided me to the direction my tank is. I tend to favor the densely planted, composed and colorful look of a Dutch type aquascape, over the Ada nature style look.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode