Having Great Success with Super High Co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
Having Great Success with Super High Co2

About 3 weeks ago I removed a powerhead from my tank, lowered the surface agitation to hardly any, and upped the co2 until Drop Checker was almost yellow.

It took a while to calibrate the co2 to where it was as high as possible without gassing the fish but I have it dialed in now.

I have had amazing growth, no algae, and awesome pearling. I have a feeling the Co2 was and is the biggest factor of all.

I'm only about 7 or 8 months into the high tech planted tank hobby now, but it sure is rewarding to get things right.

Anywho... just ranting and hopefully this helps someone who is still trying to figure things out.

-Mikey G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How does air get in the water without agitating the surface?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
There should be enough gas exchange to get o2 in the water assuming there is plenty of current, just not a lot of surface agitation. Also o2 is added from plants pearling. At night is when it gets tougher because the plants are actually using some o2. Some people turn an airstone or powerhead on when the lights go out.

Great that it is working out, just be aware that you could burn through the available ferts now that the plants are able to use more.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
There is only a tiny bit of surface agitation but great flow in the tank. I have 2 Canister filters on my 90 gal. A rena XP4 and a SunSun 404B.

-Mikey G
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 03:04 AM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If it's working it's working. Results speak louder than theory. But...theory basically says that you can have all the co2 in the world as long as your O2 is balanced accordingly. As in if you run ultra high co2, you'd also want to increase o2 as well. This should keep fish from gassing so easily, and also allow the plants to benefit from the extra co2. When my tank had inadequate surface agitation I was getting plenty of co2 in the water, but gassing fish constantly, and my stems became VERY leggy and tall. Pearling was constant, but the look just wasnt there. When I added a powerhead to have alot of surface agitation (just before "breaking" the water), the fish stopped dying. I was actually able to further increase CO2 since I had alot more O2 in the water, and I also lowered my light intensity and removed my heater. Cooler temps + less light + more co2 + more o2 = no more algae, live fish, thick dense bushy plant growth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode