A newbie with a 100 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
A newbie with a 100 gallon tank

Heya!
I've recently come into possession of a 100 gallon tank. The thing is 6 feet long, and I have no place for it in my house, so I plan on keeping it in my verandah.

I've read a whole lot of FAQ's on starting an aquarium, and I have a few questions that I think is specific to my situation.

1) Since the tank will be in my verandah, it will receive 2-3 hours of direct sunlight a day, and bright indirect light for the rest of the day. Is this sufficient?

2) Would my tank need a filter and an oxygen stone? (I plan on filling the tank up with loads of plants). If they do, then I would have to shift it to a shadier part of the verandah, where it would receive just bright indirect light through the day.

3) Is there any situation where I can make the tank virtually maintenance free?
Any combination of snails, shrimp, plants etc, that will help the tank sustain itself with me just topping up water levels?

It can get quite warm in Mumbai, so I don't think I would need a heater or thermometer.

I plan on taking this all very slowly, and I'm hoping to introduce fish into the tank by December.

Thank you for reading.

Cheers!
- Nikhil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Algae Grower

How hot is it in Mumbai? You may need a cooling system to prevent the water from getting too warm for plants or fish, depending on the species you mean to keep, I believe. Recently a member had issues in his garage with fish getting too hot and dying and some plants don't do well in very hot temperatures, I believe.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Bright indirect light is plenty for many plants. Direct sun could easily be too much and encourage algae.

Bioload will determine filtration and circulation needs. It would have to be very low to omit these aspects.

Walstaad wrote a book on very low maintenance tanks. It gets scientific - maybe more than some people want - but understanding takes effort. If you treat this tank as an aquatic garden with very little in the way of fauna then you ought to be able to keep maintenance down.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyPlants View Post
How hot is it in Mumbai? You may need a cooling system to prevent the water from getting too warm for plants or fish, depending on the species you mean to keep, I believe. Recently a member had issues in his garage with fish getting too hot and dying and some plants don't do well in very hot temperatures, I believe.
The average temperature is around 30 degrees centigrade (86 degrees F) and the highest temperature is 36 degrees (96.8 F) in May.

The water temperature would be lower the air temperature right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
Bright indirect light is plenty for many plants. Direct sun could easily be too much and encourage algae.

Bioload will determine filtration and circulation needs. It would have to be very low to omit these aspects.

Walstaad wrote a book on very low maintenance tanks. It gets scientific - maybe more than some people want - but understanding takes effort. If you treat this tank as an aquatic garden with very little in the way of fauna then you ought to be able to keep maintenance down.
Thank you. I shall look into Walstaad's book.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Most fish won't tolerate that kind of heat.. I dont think you plan if a very good one. Plants have a hard time growing in such high heat.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
Most fish won't tolerate that kind of heat.. I dont think you plan if a very good one. Plants have a hard time growing in such high heat.
Theoretically, the water would not be of the same temperature as the atmosphere though.

EDIT: A quick google search tells me the average water temperature here is 25-29 degrees C (77-84 F)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Algae Grower

The lighting would be more than enough, and you could put shrimp in it to control algae, unless you are keeping anything above a medium sized fish in there. Snails might do the job too, but I personally think shrimp are more interesting. A combination could work too. If you are getting shrimp RCS would be a good choice.

If it gets too hot you may need a cooler, because the fish might get overheated and die.

Once established and fish the right amount of plants and beneficial bacteria, your tank could be virtually maintainence free, only occasionally filling the water back up. I never need to change water or maintain my established planted tanks other than occasionally trimming.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I don't think shrimp in those high temps is a good idea, unless there are high temp tolerant shrimp I am unaware of.

A single airstone might really help a tank like this. Get some circulation (which helps bio-filtration) and it will oxygenate higher temperature water. Think about this tank more like you would a small pond.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode