What type of water...RO/DI, tap, combo?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What type of water...RO/DI, tap, combo??

What are people using for planted tanks?

I have an RO/DI system I could use and my tap water is Very Hard (SoCal).

Should I use RO/DI and buff to what is needed, use straight tap or some sort of blend of the 2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I use 100% RO. Mixing is ok and can save time, but depending on how you're set up, it could be easier to just reconstitute 100% RO than it would be to mix. I feel like it's easier to add even spoonfuls of GH booster and bicarb then it is to take the extra steps to mix tap water in. That involves a little more time and thinking, and testing if you don't have it down pat, even then the treatment plant can change things without warning. I know my params are spot on every time without testing. There's also the question of whether or not the tap's GH is a good ratio of both Ca and Mg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I use straight tap water but I won't vouch for it. I haven't had problems at all but some people do for sure. I do drip acclimate my fish and haven't had any losses doing that. I read somewhere that it takes fish a very long time to adapt to chemical changes and that temperature was the only important thing. Acclimating my fish that way...more than a few didn't last more than hours.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
I use tap water.
1 dKH, 1 dGH, just enough chlorine to keep me from getting cholera, but not enough to taste or smell.

I reconstitute with GH Booster. I tried it without the GH booster for a couple months, ran into enough plant deficiencies to convince me it was necessary.

I don't add any carbonates, and have been pretty successful so far - every plant I have tried has thrived, even "difficult" toninas. I had a shrimp only tank that the shrimp did poorly in, but I don't know if that was from the acidity of the water or high temperatures. I tend to think the latter, although with pressurized co2, my pH was below the lowest range on a cheapo pH test kit. Haven't had any problem with fish thriving.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_909 View Post
What are people using for planted tanks?

I have an RO/DI system I could use and my tap water is Very Hard (SoCal).

Should I use RO/DI and buff to what is needed, use straight tap or some sort of blend of the 2?
I like you have very hard tap water, TDS varies from 370 ppm to 550 ppm! I mix RO:tap depending on the aquarium and it's inhabitants. For example, my community aquarium which has a blackwater Apistogramma species (they are rather sensitive) I bring down the TDS to between 90-100 ppm with a dGH and dKH of less than 1 degree.

On my pleco tank, I keep it at around 270 ppm.

So it really depends on your target animals as most plants can do well in hard water. There are only a handful that require soft water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode