Slow growth and not sure why - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Slow growth and not sure why

The aquarium I have setup is a 125 gallon with approx 1.5 inches of Eco complete planted aquarium substrate caped with 1 inch of white sand. I am dosing co2 with an inline reactor from my canister filters at approx 50 bpm. The lighting I am using is a DIY LED with 40 cree led bulbs. My current water specks are

Ph 7.2
GH 60ppm

Plants that I have in the tank are
Tiger Lotus
Amazon swards
Radican
Red Flame Echinodorus
Red Mellon Echinodorus
Four Leaf Clovers
Micro Swards
Baby Tears

Can anyone point me in the right direction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 10:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Put some root tabs in or dose the water with ferts, the substrate you have isn't gonna cut it. It absorbs nutrients, then later releases it. On its own it is inert.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree. You need a regular fertilizer regimen and it also sounds like your water may be very soft as well. You may need a GH booster as well. Any idea what your KH is?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

now that is surprizing when the package says it has everything plants would need to grow.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:11 AM
Banned

PTrader: (16/100%)
You didn't mention tank dimensions or the type of Cree led's you used. That would help.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by condiman View Post
now that is surprizing when the package says it has everything plants would need to grow.
There's a lot of skepticism about these claims regarding eco complete...

In particular, eco complete is a volcanic rock, which naturally contains quite a lot of micronutrients including iron.. but it isn't really accessible to plants.

Tom Barr considers it to be effectively inert, as in having no nutrient value at all..

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=108372

Personally, I think there's at least some nutrient in that water mix it is soaking in, which is part of what differentiates eco complete from flora max.. but I don't think there's a substantial amount of nutrient there. Certainly nothing like "dirt" or any kind of compost, and also not enough to last very long in a high tech tank.

On the plus side, it does have high CEC, allowing it to grab nutrients from the water column and make them available to plant roots.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Think of it like a gas tank. It has everything you need but you will need to fill it back up after a few miles. Order some dry fertilizers from Nilocg on this board and you will be very pleased with the results. Most cost effective and he can answer specific questions.

He also sells GH booster if you need it. Get your tap water tested for GH and KH so you know if you do.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You are using less than one bubble per second of CO2 in a 125 gallon tank, so effectively you aren't supplying any significant amount of CO2 to the plants. It isn't possible to guess how much light you have from the description you gave of the light fixture, so you may have very low light. Both of those could lead to slow plant growth.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode